Topic: 7 Cuban Players Defect

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7 … desertions

After an under-23 match against the U.S. in Tampa, 7 Cuban players deserted their team, and their country. The U.S. has a law that any Cuban national who reaches U.S. soil can get asylum over here. They now don't have enough players for their next match.

When I first heard it, I thought it was really funny that they deserted Cuba like that. But when I thought about it some more, I realized how sad it is. I can't imagine how big of a decision it must be to desert your country, no matter how screwed up it is. Not to mention that these guys have family that they left behind.

"How much cheese is too much cheese? "

Thumbs up

Re: 7 Cuban Players Defect

Yeah, for all the props Michael Moore gives Cuba, people are still swimming through sharks to get to America from there.  It is really humbling to think about the opportunities that we take for granted.

Dallas Cowboys:  Progressing toward Underachievement

Thumbs up

^I was thinking the same thing about Michael Moore. He sure didn't talk much about them leaving Cuba for the US

Sports doesn't build character, it reveals it.

Thumbs up

Cuba has a few things in their system that aren't bad. Their education system (top-to-bottom) is one of the best in the world.

The problem is that they have a crazy "burnt cheerio" dictator running their country. And they're about to have his crazy "burnt cheerio" brother in charge.

I agree that it's humbling to see how great we have it here. There are definitely countries (Cuba and Uganda come to mind) where people would drop everything and bounce if they had the opportunity just because things are so bad.

This is a huge blow to them. If soccer's not their #1 sport, I imagine it's in the top 2. It's like if Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Adrian Peterson, and Ray Lewis all just up and left one day.

"How much cheese is too much cheese? "

Thumbs up