Topic: Euro 2008

Thought I'd get a thread for this going. Not that there is a huge calling for it. It has been going on for almost a week and no one has made mention of it on the Soccer page (as far as I know of course).

It has been 4 years. Obviously it is tough to follow this in the states since the games are always on 6-9 hours earlier in the day.... damn!

Lucky for me I am in Croatia right now enjoying the warm summer heat and getting crazy with all of the Croatian fans. I've already seen flares thrown in the streets, hooligans swimming in fountains, fireworks that sound like bombs thrown into crowds. Soccer fanatics take the term "fan" to a whole new level. This is not often seen back home.

I am curious to know if people have thoughts on this tourney....

It is a fair wind that blew men to the ale.

Re: Euro 2008

I Love it!
I'm rooting for Portugal and Spain.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Nice to see a little support for Euro Cup.

Portugal has a bomb team this year. Also the Netherlands are playing amazing. I would have to put my money on one of those two. Of course since I am in Croatia right now I have to root for them. I'll be in Rijeka tonight for the game against Germany. The city would erupt in chaos if they win. Oh, I can only hope...

I'm not rooting for anybody but  I have been keeping up with the games.

I just wanna see some good play.

"How much cheese is too much cheese? "

Thumbs up

With England's failure to qualify I changed my allegiance to Poland on account that there's so many Polish immigrants working in this country!

I bet you Croatia will be buzzing tonight with a win over Germany.

Pro football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors. ~ Frank Gifford

Thumbs up

Does anyone know if the final will be shown live in America? A relative from Germany is comming to town and she wants to make sure it will be on TV.

Sports doesn't build character, it reveals it.

Thumbs up

Wow, so I got to watch Croatia take down Germany tonight in Rijeka, Croatia. The whole city erupted into one large and crazy celebration. This turned out to be the start of a long night.

I was watching the Poland vs. Austria game at a street cafe on a walking mall when all hell broke loose. Right when Austria was awarded a penalty kick during stoppage time, a large fight broke out on the street next to our cafe bar that we were sitting at. A good 20-30 people began going nuts! The fight was only a few feet from us and got drastically worse when the hooligans ran towards where we were sitting to grab all the metal chairs around us to use as weapons (They made sure to remove all of the soft cushions first).

At that point I was torn between watching the game tying PK or the fight that was all around us in case a chair flew our way. I missed the goal due to being distracted by a guy who was blindsided by a chair only a few feet away. We decided it was best to stay in the center of the street cafe where we were at least still surrounded by some chairs and tables. Right at the peak of the chaos on the street, someone standing near us lit a dynamite looking firework and dropped it at our feet.

This then left us torn between staying under the umbrellas of the cafe where something was about to explode or run out into the street where chairs were flying.... We wisely booked it out to the street just as the firework exploded in the cafe (my ears are forever damaged). Luckily the fight began moving down the street as we making haste away from the explosion.

Pools of blood were abundantly found everywhere as crazed people were still running all around us. We somehow managed to exit the apocalypse zone as more loud explosions were set off and people continued to battle. Not a bad way to spend an evening while watching some sports. Yeeesh!

I have followed Poland a bit because the only guy I know that has a rooting interest is Polish. I think they're out though. They really needed to dominate Austria.

Now they need to not only destroy Croatia, they need to do it by enough to get by on goal aggregate.

"How much cheese is too much cheese? "

Thumbs up