Topic: Bradshaw admits to steroid use

In an admission that is almost as stunning as the absence of any meaningful mainstream media reaction to it, Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw admitted last week that he took steroids while playing pro football in the 1970s.

“We did steroids to get away the aches and the speed of healing,” Bradshaw said on The Dan Patrick Show.  “My use of steroids from a doctor was to speed up injury, and [i] thought nothing of it. . . .  It was to speed up the healing process, that was it.  It wasn’t to get bigger and stronger and faster.”

But the problem is that plenty of players use and have used and will use steroids for the exact same reason.  When Pats safety Rodney Harrison was popped last year for possession of HGH, he claimed he wasn’t cheating because he was only doing it to recover from an injury — ignoring the obvious reality that using banned substances to speed recovery from an injury is simply another form of cheating.

Bradshaw says that he took steroids with a doctor’s prescription.  It’s irrelevant, in our view.  Steroids are now widely viewed as proof of cheating, both in the days before and after they were officially banned by the NFL.  Today, no player can use them, with or without a piece of paper with a squiggly line intended to reflect an approximation of a physician’s signature.

And Bradshaw’s use of the pronoun “we” reflects a recognition that he was hardly the only one using them.  Meanwhile, Bradshaw has continued to earn a very nice living as a member of the mainstream media while previously not once offering up any frank and candid admission of his own use of the substances, or regarding his knowledge of the extent to which others were using it.

It’s unclear why Bradshaw opted for candor with Patrick.  Maybe Dan is simply a damn good interviewer, who was able to get Bradshaw to talk about something he’d previously concealed.  Either way, this is a big story, and it deserves a lot more play than it has received.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/ … eroid-use/

So does this mean that the Steelers should have asterisks next to their championships in the 70s?

Thumbs up

Re: Bradshaw admits to steroid use

The thing that is wrong about this article is it DOES matter if you have a prescription for them, there are players in the league now that have permission to use HGH for medical reasons. Back in the 70s things were different, and doctors didn't know the long term effects of using steroids. If current medical knowledge was as limited as it was back then there would probably still be doctors writing the prescriptions to players for their injuries.
I’m not defending anyone for using them back then, I’m just pointing out that things are different now than they were then.

10 Team PPR Keeper(5) League QB: Drew Brees–Kyle Orton
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew–Ray Rice–Javid Best-Ahmad Bradshaw-Fred Jackson
WR: Andre Johnson–Larry Fitzgerald–Hakeem Nicks-Jabar Gaffney-Dexter McCluster-Jason Witten
IDP:Jon Beason-Lawrence Timmons-DeMeco Ryans DEF:NY Jets

Thumbs up

One thing is for certain:  Steroids don't do diddly to regrow human hair.

"I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."

Thumbs up

MattyP wrote:

One thing is for certain:  Steroids don't do diddly to regrow human hair.

Or for intelligence.

"Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that."
-Joe Theismann

Is this supposed to be surprising that the 70s Steelers used steroids?  I thought we all knew and accepted that.  I don't think we should asterisk those championships, but I do think we should observe the 70s Steelers and look at how well they have aged since the steroids to see what the long term effects are.

Such as being a freaking idiot in national tv.

Dallas Cowboys:  Progressing toward Underachievement

Thumbs up

Look kids. This is the effect of steroid use

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/ap/f6140192-7aa3-4802-a9ba-c6ca7f69a6bb.hmedium.jpg

"Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that."
-Joe Theismann

This is ALSO the effect of steroid use:

http://www.yinzluvsteelers.com/storage/hand.jpg

“The key is not the will to win. Everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.”
– Bobby Knight

Twitter: @tffg and @kevinmoore_tffg

Dude, sign me up.  Shoot me like a horse.

Thumbs up

Kevin wrote:

Yeah, those rings did a ton for Mike Webster after he was done playing.

And there's the whole argument right there.

Thumbs up

MattyP wrote:
Kevin wrote:

You lost me...what's the whole argument?  Not sure I'm getting the point.

“The key is not the will to win. Everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.”
– Bobby Knight

Mike Webster is dead.

(12 team, 0.5 PPR, 1 keeper) QB - Wilson, Cutler
RB - Howard (K-9th), Cook, Hunt, Martin, C Thompson, D Lewis, Bernard, C West
WR - A Brown, Parker, Decker, Ginn, Lockett, M Williams (IR)
TE - Graham K - Tavecchio DST - Steelers

Thumbs up

Kevin wrote:
MattyP wrote:
Kevin wrote:

You lost me...what's the whole argument?  Not sure I'm getting the point.

I think drew caught what I was saying... mostly I was giving guff to the 'whatever means neccessary' logic that goes behind steroid use....Webster was a guy who had a TON of problems after his career was over - some of which may or may not have had some influence from rumored steroid use (granted the head injuries are not a direct result of the roids, but they certainly play a part in keeping guys on the field) - point was, Webster had a pretty tragic last decade, regardless of what caused it, the rings didn't mean a damn thing in the end....now I've lost myself.

ONE TIME, I try to be halfway serious and make a poignant point, and this is where we get....I guess that's how I learn my lesson.  See if that ever happens again....sheesh.

Thumbs up

MattyP wrote:
Kevin wrote:

Agreed. The glory isn't worth the consequence. Or maybe it is?

Thumbs up

ninjajakem wrote:
MattyP wrote:
Kevin wrote:

Agreed. The glory isn't worth the consequence. Or maybe it is?

Impossible for us to say.  Those guys don't seem to have any regrets.

– Bobby Knight

In a way, Kevin is right.  There was a study done recently asking smokers to estimate the damage that smoking inflicts on their body.  On average, the individual smoker well overestimate the toll of smoking on their own fitness.  The data indicate that the smokers simply feel it is worth it.

In the same way, I think most of these guys in their 20's believe that they will pay an enormous price for abusing their bodies, but I think they believe it is worth the payoff in money and glory.

Thumbs up

Hi,I'm new here.
This forum is very interesting that I like it very much.

Thumbs up