Topic: Wes Welker is officially a d0uch3b@g

Lighting up former teammate Asante Samuel:

http://www.fanhouse.com/2008/06/29/patr … over-cham/

"Money over championships" from Wes freakin' Welker.  That's funny. Before last season, Welker had 12 career fumbles and 1 career touchdown. Dude was roster filler until Tom Brady and Randy Moss pretty much handed him a career this past season. 

Super Bowl rings owned:

Asante Samuel: 2
Wes Welker: 0

End of story.

(12 team, 0.5 PPR, 1 keeper) QB - Wilson, Cutler
RB - Howard (K-9th), Cook, Hunt, Martin, C Thompson, D Lewis, Bernard, C West
WR - A Brown, Parker, Decker, Ginn, Lockett, M Williams (IR)
TE - Graham K - Tavecchio DST - Steelers

Thumbs up

Re: Wes Welker is officially a d0uch3b@g

Wow way not to sound bitter, drew. Must all go back to superbowl XXXIX eh?

Thumbs up

I don't follow your logic.  What does that Super Bowl have to do with Wes Welker calling out a former teammate (one who actually won a championship ring while playing in it)? 

Case you haven't figured it out, I'm on Samuel's side in this one (and Samuel is the one who actually won a ring against my team in that Super Bowl you brought up).

If anything, I should be bitter vs. Samuel and boo his @$$ when I see him.  But I'm not going to do that.   Philly fans have class.  wink

Thumbs up

All I'm saying is that Welker is making a pretty valid point, and you seemed to be coming to the defense of one of your Eagles. The patriots have a better shot at returning to the SB with Samuel on the roster, no questions.

Thumbs up

Wes Welker? How many rings does he have? What a joke. One of the more over rated players in the league. One big year and he is making a judgment on Asante Samuel's career choice. Samuel has more rings and is a far more talented player. I love how cocky the Pats still are even after getting knocked off by the Giants. You can add Welker to my list. http://www.thefantasyfootballguys.com/f … ?id=16062/

I think Welker is still one of the most underrated players in the league. Yeah, I said it. And he's right. Samuel went to the team that was willing to overpay him (by the way, there's nothing wrong with that).

Should ha have made this comment? No. But I remember Donnie Mac putting his foot in his mouth trying to criticize Bret Favre a couple years ago as well. Guys say stupid things sometimes.

"How much cheese is too much cheese? "

Thumbs up

ninjajakem wrote:

All I'm saying is that Welker is making a pretty valid point, and you seemed to be coming to the defense of one of your Eagles. The patriots have a better shot at returning to the SB with Samuel on the roster, no questions.

I think the Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Jacksonville Jaguars have something to say about that. 

Who are the NFC juggernauts again?   Oh...right. 

Winner. Right here.  Pay me.  wink

Thumbs up

Actium wrote:

I think Welker is still one of the most underrated players in the league. Yeah, I said it. And he's right. Samuel went to the team that was willing to overpay him (by the way, there's nothing wrong with that).

Should ha have made this comment? No. But I remember Donnie Mac putting his foot in his mouth trying to criticize Bret Favre a couple years ago as well. Guys say stupid things sometimes.

What did McNabb say about Favre a couple of years ago?  I don't remember hearing about that one, but I do remember Favre calling out his own receiver (Driver) for trying to get more money while Favre himself collected a fat paycheck of his own.  I get where you're coming from, but you have to bear in mind context, and I mean that two ways:

1. Context RE: you bringing McNabb into the story: I have a hard time believing McNabb ever questioned Favre's heart or motivation to win.  That's the crux of this story right here, so unless McNabb questioned Favre's heart or motivation to win (which I highly doubt), then your comparison is not applicable to this situation. 

2.  Context RE: this story: Reporters often ask pointed questions to athletes to get a quote they can use, and often those quotes are taken out of context.  Clearly, that's not the case here: Welker went out of his way to bash Samuel in this case.

Thumbs up

drewseabass wrote:
ninjajakem wrote:

I think the Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Jacksonville Jaguars have something to say about that. 

Who are the NFC juggernauts again?   Oh...right. 

Winner. Right here.  Pay me.  wink

Maybe I'm misinterpreting ninjajakem's statement, but isn't he saying the Pats WOULD have had a better shot at returning to the SB this year IF Samuel were still on their roster instead of being on Philly's?  That sounds like a compliment to Samuel, so I'm not sure what the Colts/Chargers/Steelers/Jags part has to do with it.

Not to jinx my hometown team, but it will be ironic if Samuel makes an acrobatic leaping INT in the Super Bowl this year to beat the Pats and silence all the idiot fans who blamed the SB 42 loss on Samuel dropping a tough potential INT. I, for one, am thankful for Samuel's service to the Pats and wish him the best.

Thumbs up

Pro football is all about the money, plain and simple. I have no problem with that either. Samuel has his two rings he can take the big pay check and he is still playing for a legitimate contender. Maybe Welker would know how he feels but he has never been offered a contract like Samuel's. He got a nice deal playing for a contender. Even if the Pats have a better chance of getting to the Super Bowl than the Eagles what gives Wes Welker the right to criticize a player of much higher caliber than he?

drewseabass wrote:

Super Bowl rings owned:

Asante Samuel: 2
Wes Welker: 0

End of story.

You don't have to have a Super Bowl ring to be better than someone else. AP is just starting his career in the NFL and he is already better than some RBs. Who cares if someone has never won the Super Bowl. Would you still draft him if he's the best available WR left? Yes you would. Would you draft Marques Colston instead of Plaxico Burres? Yes you would. Winning a Super Bowl is a team effort, not one player. I don't have a problem with Welker making that comment because it doesn't mean anything. Its just his opinion on the issue. That's all Sportscenter is.

Kneel Before Zod!

Thumbs up

It's not like Samuel went to a crap team just to get paid.  Eagles are certainly playoff caliber, especially NFC playoff caliber.  The argument could be made that after surviving their division and earning a playoff bid, the Eagles will face lesser caliber opponents in the playoffs than the Pats will.

The real question here is, who looks more foolish? Ring-less Welker for calling out Samuel, or Brian Scalabrine and his zero minutes of playoff contribution in the Celtics title run bragging about the ease of competition?  And perhaps more important, is it more than coincidence that all these d-bags reside in Boston?

Thumbs up

Jagwired wrote:

Pro football is all about the money, plain and simple. I have no problem with that either. Samuel has his two rings he can take the big pay check and he is still playing for a legitimate contender. Maybe Welker would know how he feels but he has never been offered a contract like Samuel's. He got a nice deal playing for a contender. Even if the Pats have a better chance of getting to the Super Bowl than the Eagles what gives Wes Welker the right to criticize a player of much higher caliber than he?

Sorry Philly fans, but I'm not sure the Eagles are "legitimate contender" this year. Yeah, Westbrook is good, but outside of that they really have nothing going on the offensive front. Plus, when you have the redskins, giants, and dallas in the same division it makes it really hard to get that wildcard spot. The giants will still be good, as will the cowboys. This is no cakewalk like the NFC West where the seahawks get a free pass every year.  Anyway, there are no playoffs for the eagles this year my friends. Now, PLEASE FLAME ME. I'm going to enjoy it!

Thumbs up

tycoon912 wrote:

It's not like Samuel went to a crap team just to get paid.  Eagles are certainly playoff caliber, especially NFC playoff caliber.  The argument could be made that after surviving their division and earning a playoff bid, the Eagles will face lesser caliber opponents in the playoffs than the Pats will.

The real question here is, who looks more foolish? Ring-less Welker for calling out Samuel, or Brian Scalabrine and his zero minutes of playoff contribution in the Celtics title run bragging about the ease of competition?  And perhaps more important, is it more than coincidence that all these d-bags reside in Boston?

[applause] +1

Thumbs up

VoteForPedro wrote:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting ninjajakem's statement, but isn't he saying the Pats WOULD have had a better shot at returning to the SB this year IF Samuel were still on their roster instead of being on Philly's?  That sounds like a compliment to Samuel, so I'm not sure what the Colts/Chargers/Steelers/Jags part has to do with it.

Yeah I think I misinterpreted that in my zeal to bash Welker for being an outright douche.  My bad.

WhoDat22 wrote:

You don't have to have a Super Bowl ring to be better than someone else. AP is just starting his career in the NFL and he is already better than some RBs. Who cares if someone has never won the Super Bowl.

I'm not arguing with you there, but that's beside the point.  We're discussing the lack of class displayed by Welker...who never won a ring himself...in criticizing someone else...a former teammate with two rings, no less...for supposedly caring more about $ than championships.

Now, coming from someone like Tom Brady...who actually won Super Bowls with Samuel as a teammate...those words might mean something.  Coming from Welker...who owns no rings and played just one season with the guy...it simply means "I'm jealous of Asante because he's a legitimate Pro Bowler with two SB rings who'll do well no matter where he plays, and I'm just an ordinary douche who owes my livelihood as a WR to Randy Moss and Tom Brady."

WhoDat22 wrote:

I don't have a problem with Welker making that comment because it doesn't mean anything. Its just his opinion on the issue. That's all Sportscenter is.

Yeah, you're right.  Especially for equating Welker's opinion with the steaming pile that is commonly known as SportsCenter.

Thumbs up

VoteForPedro wrote:

Not to jinx my hometown team, but it will be ironic if Samuel makes an acrobatic leaping INT in the Super Bowl this year to beat the Pats and silence all the idiot fans who blamed the SB 42 loss on Samuel dropping a tough potential INT.

Pedro, it went over his fingertips.  Only seen the play live, and about a week ago when i forced myself to rewatch the game so I dont snap and break things when they show highlights every 5 seconds this season.  Whether he could or should have made the play is close.  I think it was more reation time than anything.  He had no idea the ball was coming there.  No WR in sight.  Sort of like "oh sh*t", and then it was too late.  There's about 5 such plays on that drive alone.  I don't blame him, but it would have been really nice if he could have found it in himself to somehow GO AHEAD AND REEL THAT ONE IN!

Thumbs up

tycoon912 wrote:

And perhaps more important, is it more than coincidence that all these d-bags reside in Boston?

Says the Lakers fan....or the Pistons fan......or the Cavs fan.......probably not an Atl Hawks fan......Colorado Rockies fan?  Can't be a Yankees fan, too much correct spelling.  AHHH Cleveland Indians/Cavs.  Double trouble.  I bet this.  AMIRITE?

Thumbs up

drewseabass wrote:

Now, coming from someone like Tom Brady...who actually won Super Bowls with Samuel as a teammate...those words might mean something.  Coming from Welker...who owns no rings and played just one season with the guy...it simply means "I'm jealous of Asante because he's a legitimate Pro Bowler with two SB rings who'll do well no matter where he plays, and I'm just an ordinary douche who owes my livelihood as a WR to Randy Moss and Tom Brady."

For what it's worth, he'd probably have been SB MVP if Assante gets that INT.  I think he tied the SB receptions record held by Deion Branch.

BTW here's a short list of top notch talents who left the Pats for the $$$ over the years

David Givens
Branch (traded, but held out until traded)
Vinitieri
Willie McGinest
Lawyer Milloy (released, but because he'd not take a pay cut)
Ty Law
Damien Woody

I count one post Pats ring for Vinitieri.  Just interesting is all.

Last edited by threechamps (2008-07-25 18:19:54)

Thumbs up

threechamps wrote:
tycoon912 wrote:

And perhaps more important, is it more than coincidence that all these d-bags reside in Boston?

Says the Lakers fan....or the Pistons fan......or the Cavs fan.......probably not an Atl Hawks fan......Colorado Rockies fan?  Can't be a Yankees fan, too much correct spelling.  AHHH Cleveland Indians/Cavs.  Double trouble.  I bet this.  AMIRITE?

You didn't mention the possibility of Dallas fan!  We Dallas fans have a deep mistrust of all things Northeast.  Especially peoples who don't pronounce ending "r"s.  We have such a deep seated mistrust, that we prefer to add extra syllables to words to make sure that every letter is pronounced.  For instance, Y'all is pronounced "YAWALL".  Even Wes Welker is pronounced "Weyes Welkrrrrr".  Douche is still douche, though.  Dallas fans are a little nervous about that one.

Dallas Cowboys:  Progressing toward Underachievement

Thumbs up

bigdaddyhub wrote:
threechamps wrote:
tycoon912 wrote:

You didn't mention the possibility of Dallas fan!  We Dallas fans have a deep mistrust of all things Northeast.  Especially peoples who don't pronounce ending "r"s.  We have such a deep seated mistrust, that we prefer to add extra syllables to words to make sure that every letter is pronounced.  For instance, Y'all is pronounced "YAWALL".  Even Wes Welker is pronounced "Weyes Welkrrrrr".  Douche is still douche, though.  Dallas fans are a little nervous about that one.

In all fairness, it's true.  If you really want to see a d-bag convention, well, it's a Sox-Yankees weekend.  At no time are so many convened in one area. 

Well, outside the republican and democrat national conventions.

Hahaha.  Thank you all, enjoy your stay in Las Vegas, you've been a great crowd!  Sorry to hijack the tread.  Let's rejoin the Wes Welker sux discussion already in progress......

Thumbs up

Ya, for the record, I'm a Lakers fan.  But I give all the credit in the world to Boston for winning that series... the Lakers got outplayed, I don't make excuses.

That said, you did not disagree with me.  And why try? We both know I'm right about Brian Scalabrine.  If the Lakers had won the series and Coby Karl who was literally a non-factor started talking trash on the Celtics, would you not call him a douche bag? ...right.

Thumbs up

tycoon912 wrote:

Ya, for the record, I'm a Lakers fan.  But I give all the credit in the world to Boston for winning that series... the Lakers got outplayed, I don't make excuses.

That said, you did not disagree with me.  And why try? We both know I'm right about Brian Scalabrine.  If the Lakers had won the series and Coby Karl who was literally a non-factor started talking trash on the Celtics, would you not call him a douche bag? ...right.

Oh come on.  If you got paid that money, got floor seats to every playoff game, THEN got a nice ring at the end, you'd talk it up a little too!  I know I would.

Thumbs up

threechamps wrote:

you'd talk it up a little too!  I know I would.

If being called a douche bag by the majority of NBA observers is an aspiration of yours, then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Thumbs up

tycoon912 wrote:
threechamps wrote:

you'd talk it up a little too!  I know I would.

If being called a douche bag by the majority of NBA observers is an aspiration of yours, then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Haha, it was a joke, humor, come on.  Cheer up.  Training camps are open.

Thumbs up

smile:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Thumbs up