Topic: Record predictions of '08

Anybody want to throw down a prediction for the coming season?

Since the 2005 "renaissance" I've been overly optimistic and have been saying 10-6 each year.  This year, against better judgment, i'm really feelin' it.   So I'm throwing out 10-6 again.

Anyone else?

Thumbs up

Re: Record predictions of '08

Sorry but they are going to finish last this year. Their offense is their better than most teams, but their defense will lose games.

6-10

"Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that."
-Joe Theismann

i have to agree with Mike, i don't see them beating out anyone in the division. i think best case scenario for them is 8-8.

10 Team PPR Keeper(5) League QB: Drew Brees–Kyle Orton
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew–Ray Rice–Javid Best-Ahmad Bradshaw-Fred Jackson
WR: Andre Johnson–Larry Fitzgerald–Hakeem Nicks-Jabar Gaffney-Dexter McCluster-Jason Witten
IDP:Jon Beason-Lawrence Timmons-DeMeco Ryans DEF:NY Jets

Thumbs up

Funny that Baltimore Mike and a Steelers fan think that the Bengals will have a bad season.  I'll provide a much more objective opinion.  All AFC North teams have a very hard schedule this year.  I honestly don't see any team in this division winning more than 10 games.  I think the Bengals can go 9-7 or 10-6 this year and battle out Pittsburgh for the division title.  A lot of people don't realize that the Bengals were extremely injured last year.  They were down to 2 LBs on their roster for awhile.  They also were without Willie Anderson (RT) and Levi Jones (LT) for significant parts of last year, and don't forget that Rudi wasn't Rudi last year.  If they stay healthy I see them being very competitive.
I do agree with Baltimore mike, their defense is definitely not in the top half of the league.  We'll just have to see what new d coordinator, Mike Zimmerman can do.

Deep League: 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 2Flex, 1TE, 2DEF, 1K: 12teams

Thumbs up

I agree, I think that they can do a 9 - 7 this year with the hope of getting another one or two wins.  I think there are a number of questions in the AFC North this year as well as the difficult schedule all of the teams have pointed out by mfoert.  Before this week I thought the Jets game was a give me win, now I think it will be a battle.  I think the D will struggle again this year though I think they will be quite a bit better than they have been the past year.

Thumbs up

With a healthy RB backfield they can get to 10-6.

“I knew right away and I was kind of in denial to start with. I tried to walk it off but I heard a pop. I got caught in one of those situations where someone kind of twisted me and sat on my leg and you know, what are you going to do?” -Rex Grossman

Thumbs up

how does a healthy RB backfield cover their sieve-like defense? 10-6 in the AFC North would be a miracle season for them.

WR: Andre Johnson–Larry Fitzgerald–Hakeem Nicks-Jabar Gaffney-Dexter McCluster-Jason Witten

Thumbs up

The Bengals went 11-5 in 2005 with the 28th ranked defense in the league.  All they need is their offense to get rolling and they can outgun anyone in the league.  If they have a winning record this year it will be because of their offense.  They just need to get healthy on that side of the ball.  I'm still saying they go 9-7 or 10-6.

Thumbs up

This is my post related to Cincy signing Chris Henry; but, it does address this thread as well so I will copy and paste it.

What gets me is Marvin Lewis "Nick Sabin" telling everyone not to believe what they read on NFL.com and basically calling them a bunch of liars. We all know who the liar is now. Lewis is what is wrong with the team. You can see it in the way he deals with players and the media. He sends mixed messages that are inconsistent and confusing. Just the way his teams play. I see a 5-11 season at best and I'm avoiding all Bengals unless the value is just too much. (ie Chad in the 5th or 6th).

Thumbs up

From what I'm reading it sounds like Marvin Lewis was against this signing, but the owner, Paul Brown, made the call.  I don't think Marvin was lying at all.  The problem with this team is that Paul Brown and Marvin aren't on the same page.

Thumbs up

mfoert is correct....MIKE Brown (son of the late, Paul Brown), makes all the decisions, and Marvin has to live with them as best he can...  Housh said it best..."we all have a boss...Marvin answers to Mike, and we answer to Marvin."  Marvin should stop speaking too soon so he doesn't have to open mouth and insert foot so often...in this case, Marvin was against signing Henry and spoke about it before Mike Brown had made his final decision....I think Chad and T.J.'s injuries, while perhaps minor, influenced Mike's last minute decision on Henry....

As a Bengals fan, I don't want Henry on the team...he is football poison...like T.O....I don't care how good they are, I'd rather have them play on someone else's team.  Its bad enough that we have to put up with Chad's shennanigans.  Why can't these guys just shut up, stay out of jail and play football???

"I am too drunk to taste this chicken."

- Colonel Sanders

Thumbs up

Camptown Ladies wrote:

With a healthy RB backfield they can get to 10-6.

I highly doubt that.  A healthy backfield will allow them to control the clock and take the pressure off their horrid defense just enough to eek out an 8-8 record.  I don't see that happening, though, so 6-10 sounds more realistic...and no, I'm not a Ravens or Steelers (or Browns) fan.

I'll split the difference: 7-9.

(12 team, 0.5 PPR, 1 keeper) QB - Wilson, Cutler
RB - Howard (K-9th), Cook, Hunt, Martin, C Thompson, D Lewis, Bernard, C West
WR - A Brown, Parker, Decker, Ginn, Lockett, M Williams (IR)
TE - Graham K - Tavecchio DST - Steelers

Thumbs up

mfoert wrote:

From what I'm reading it sounds like Marvin Lewis was against this signing, but the owner, Paul Brown, made the call.  I don't think Marvin was lying at all.  The problem with this team is that Paul Brown and Marvin aren't on the same page.

Problem singular? And here I sit thinking that there's more than one problem with the Cincinnati Bengals...

(12 team, 0.5 PPR, 1 keeper) QB - Wilson, Cutler
RB - Howard (K-9th), Cook, Hunt, Martin, C Thompson, D Lewis, Bernard, C West
WR - A Brown, Parker, Decker, Ginn, Lockett, M Williams (IR)
TE - Graham K - Tavecchio DST - Steelers

Thumbs up

Watch out Drew! You're going to anger the Bengal masses and they might charge. They seem to seriously think that their team will win 10 games this season. i don't know that ANYONE in the AFC North will win 10 games with the schedules they all have this season. They all have schedules that rank among the toughest in the league.

Thumbs up

10 wins huh?

they just lost to Joe Flacco.

0-1 so far...

Thumbs up

Bigisland31 wrote:

10 wins huh?

they just lost to Joe Flacco.

0-1 so far...

And they looked BBBAAAAADDDDD!!!!!!

I thought at least the offense would look alright, but they looked lost. Bengals might have the #1 pick next year.

"Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that."
-Joe Theismann

I think I saw Marvin Lewis' resume go up on careerbuilder.com today.

"Willing to work in any profession except for bail bonds."

Thumbs up

0-2, and counting...

Thumbs up

The Bengals really want that first round draft pick don't they. It's going to be a tough race between them, the Chiefs and the Rams

-Joe Theismann

I'm picking the Rams, god they look awful and the Bengals don't have enough luck to win the lottery!

Thumbs up

Yeah - it's pretty ugly so far.

I get excited at the beginning of both football and baseball season like that and think we're going to do awesome. 
Then I gaze out my window and look at that polluted-ass river and am reminded of where I live.  Cincinnati.  Sheesh.  At least it's not Detroit, right? tongue

Thumbs up

Who Dey Nation wrote:

At least it's not Detroit, right? tongue

There's always that!

-Joe Theismann

0-3
at least they showed some life, but i think Marvin Lewis isn't going to make it through the season.

Thumbs up

0-4, my god they look BBBBAAAAAAAAAAAADDDD. when does the Marvin Lewis watch begin?

Thumbs up

Bigisland31 wrote:

0-4, my god they look BBBBAAAAAAAAAAAADDDD. when does the Marvin Lewis watch begin?

I heard that's he's been spotted filling out applications for a managers position at the Starbucks down the street. Him and Ocho-cinco

-Joe Theismann