Topic: George Kokinas

The Browns are scheduled to interview Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinas for their GM position. Kokinas and Mangini worked together with the Browns in the early 90s. They're still good friends.

Do any Raven fans, like Baltimore Mike, have opinions about Kokinas?

Thumbs up

Re: George Kokinas

Endgame wrote:

Do any Raven fans, like Baltimore Mike, have opinions about Kokinas?

He's good, but I really thought Phil Savage was good also. At least Kokinas got to learn from Ozzie Newsome who is one of the best GMs in the league.

If the Browns can get some guys on defense they could very quickly become competitive in the AFC North, that right there is the big problem for the Browns. I think Kokinas should be a good fit, although it's really hard to say since Ozzie really gets most of the press around here.

"Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that."
-Joe Theismann

Thanks for the insights, Mike.

Like just about every Browns fan, I thought Savage was going to do a great job as GM, and he did improve the talent on the team. But he certainly had his problems, especially when it came to management issues and, it turns out, working with the head coach on a shared vision.

And that shared vision is supposedly what Mangini and Kokinas will have.

Thumbs up

Can't argue with guys like Quinn, Thomas, Braylon and Kellen Winslow. Not bad for the last few years, especially considering that they have been sucking bad since they came back into the league. I think Savage did a pretty good job, but I can't say the same for Romeo. I thought that guy made a bunch of lousy decisions during game time.

"Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that."
-Joe Theismann

Don't forget Shaun Rogers; great trade by Savage. Tho Winslow was not a Savage pick; Butch Davis selected him. Then Savage alienated KW2 when he got a staph infection this year wink

Again I agree Savage upgraded the talent; I loved how aggressive he was in signing players. If the team had been as aggressive on the field, especially on defense, things might have turned out a little better. But Savage also made some bad trades, especially in 2008 with the actual draft. he ended up selecting players the coaches didn't want. This points to the disconnect between the Browns front office and coaches, something I don't think long-term successful teams like the Raves, Steelers, Colts, Pats, Giants.

I agree on Crennel's lousy job as HC. His players never seemed ready to play. They could never match the intensity of the Ravens and Steelers.

Thumbs up

Well if the HC, GM and owner are not on the same page it will never be good, it doesn't matter who you have in there. If the Browns do take Kokinas or whoever, he and Mangini better be on the same page for the future.

-Joe Theismann