Topic: Jay Cutler worth risk for Lions

http://www.freep.com/article/20090322/C … +for+Lions

I stand corrected.

Denver just might be stupid enough to trade quarterback Jay Cutler.

Should the Lions somehow pull off the unthinkable and land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback for a collection of high draft choices over the next two years, general manager Martin Mayhew becomes the most successful Lions chief executive in William Clay Ford Sr.'s 45 years of sole ownership.

And Mayhew has yet to win his first game as Lions GM.

Such a distinction is as much an indictment of those preceding Mayhew as anything else.

Mayhew could continue the storied team tradition of screwing up every pick in the draft this year, but he would still merit a free pass from public criticism because he procured this franchise's first legitimate quarterback since Greg Landry 41 years ago.

Landry has the Lions' lone quarterback Pro Bowl appearance (1971) in the past 50 years.

It's unlikely the Broncos will settle for a lesser quarterback in a trade for Cutler. If they're hell-bent on moving him, a package including first-round picks over the next two years would come closest to reaching Cutler's value.

Just when you thought a ridiculous situation couldn't become more ludicrous, Denver owner Pat Bowlen recently called Cutler "an unhappy camper" on NFL.com. Such a patronizing tone suggests the Broncos are fed up with Cutler's dramatics. You refer to 8-year-olds as unhappy campers who take their ball and bat and run home to mommy when they don't get their way on the field.

Let me reiterate a point raised here last week: Cutler is a whiny brat.

He seems chronically thin-skinned. San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers openly has called him out during games, questioning his moxie. Cutler should grow up and realize that he's nothing more than a very well compensated piece of NFL meat. He exists solely at the discretion of his employer. He's not immune to treatment he might find discomforting. It's part of a ruthless business. He has become a puppet of agent Bus Cook's machinations. Cutler gets paid millions to conduct himself as a professional on and off the field, and he has failed in that regard.

The bridge is now burned beyond recognition in Denver. Cutler is as much to blame for the erosion of this relationship as much as Broncos management.

But, again, he's still worth the risk if you're Mayhew.

The Lions are in the best position of all potential suitors because they'll have the quality draft picks capable of piquing the Broncos' interest. The Roy Williams trade for Dallas' first-round pick (as well as a third-round choice) becomes an even smarter trade because it also gives the Lions the draft choice flexibility necessary for pulling off such a potential blockbuster.

I usually dont agree with Drew Sharpe but he hit the proverbial nail on the head with this one

You asked for a hero. You didn't say anything about sanity.

Re: Jay Cutler worth risk for Lions

Yeah, but given what a nancy-boy he's turned out to be...would you want him?

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
– Benjamin Franklin

Twitter: @tffg and @kevinmoore_tffg

Though I agree Cutler should man up and keep this all behind closed doors, I don't think he is a liability.  Think of it like at your job.  Let's say you are the top salesman in your division.  You got a good contract and commission rate, but will be due a new one in the near future.   However, the boss that hired you and supported you left, and now a new guy comes in.   This new boss during one of the first staff meetings states he wants to bring in the best guy from his old company.  What would you do and how would you feel?

You'd be pissed and concerned that you are not a valued member of a team and also feel betrayed.  Unless you like being treated like a second hand employee, you'd voice your concerns and want to leave as well.

That's not a liability.  That's a guy who takes pride in his work and wants to be given credit for what he brings to the company.

Last edited by kilgoretrout (2009-03-23 11:05:34)

Thumbs up

Kevin wrote:

If I am Detroit, Yes. Absolutely. And there are a bunch of other teams that would love to take him, his nancy-boyishness and his arm as well.

Dallas Cowboys:  Progressing toward Underachievement

Thumbs up

bigdaddyhub wrote:
Kevin wrote:

If I am Detroit, Yes. Absolutely. And there are a bunch of other teams that would love to take him, his nancy-boyishness and his arm as well.

That would be a kind of unusual.
The WR with all world talent who is not a total air head, and he conducts himself great. With the good QB who is a total knuckle head. Usually it is the other way around.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Kevin wrote:

Hell YES. He'd be a God in the Motor City. Then you pair him up with Megatron. I get wood just thinking about that. 25 years old, 4500+ passing yds, and 25 TD's? Where do I sign?

Lions need to ride the Broncos all the way until the draft in order to get this done. I imagine this is what it should look like:

http://regardinghorses.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/lion-riding-horse.jpg

NOT a photoshop BTW

Yeah, I'm sure that will be comfortable for the Broncos. Anyway, the Broncos are saying that they are committed to Cutler as their QB so this will be interesting since Cutler still wants out. Should add some nice drama to an otherwise low key offseason.

It is a fair wind that blew men to the ale.

they definately should make the move. I live in Denver and have seen what cutler can do. Despite the fact that he's a drunken douchebag every Friday before games, he still delivers some decent numbers. He could definately take C Johnson to the next level and with his age, the lions will have a qb for a number of years. That will allow them to focus elsewhere. They should ride it out to the draft and make a big push for the trade on draft day.

12 Team League:

QB: Eli Manning, Matt Hasselbeck RB: Arian Foster, Lesean McCoy, Cendric Benson, Pierre Thomas, Maurice Morris WR: Brandon Marshall, Mike Wallace (Pit), Deion Branch, Johnny Knox TE: Jimmy Graham DE: Saints, Titans K: Gostkowski

Thumbs up

BrianLion wrote:

Lions need to ride the Broncos all the way until the draft in order to get this done. I imagine this is what it should look like:

http://regardinghorses.com/wp-content/u … -horse.jpg

NOT a photoshop BTW

Looks like the lion in your pic might be the grandson or great grandson of the lion in this pic.  Didn't know Lion's were such dare-devils.  Thought they were just big cats.  My cats won't even get up off the couch for a frickin treat, let alone to ride a horse or motorcycle sidecar, lol.

http://sidecarpete.com/images/site/wall/2.jpg

Thumbs up

Kevin wrote:

Nancy boy?

No.

Young and stupid?

Yes.

(12 team, 0.5 PPR, 1 keeper) QB - Wilson, Cutler
RB - Howard (K-9th), Cook, Hunt, Martin, C Thompson, D Lewis, Bernard, C West
WR - A Brown, Parker, Decker, Ginn, Lockett, M Williams (IR)
TE - Graham K - Tavecchio DST - Steelers

Thumbs up

Could the Deal go like this?

Detroit could send:
The #1 pick overall this season (Denver probably takes Aaron Curry), 2010's second round pick and either 2010's Third round pick or  Drew Stanton and 2010's Fourth Round Pick.

In Exchange for:
Jay Cutler and TE Tony Scheffler

Whatcha Think?

Fantasy Writer at www.footballreportersonline.com and www.Gridirondraftguide.com
"FU"
Frankie U.
Union City, TN

I think thats WAY too much for Scheffler and Cutler. Detroit could probably give them the #1 this year and next year's #2 and it gets done. Scheffler isnt really worth a 2nd rd pick at this point

All the "Experts" I've heard are calling for 2 First round picks in exchange for Cutler.

Fantasy Writer at www.footballreportersonline.com and www.Gridirondraftguide.com
"FU"
Frankie U.
Union City, TN

Looks like it's official with the Broncos wanting to trade Cutler. 

I can't really see how the Lion's would get him, though we do have all the leverage now that the Bronco's owner made the decision to get rid of him.

I can see the Lion's play the fact that we don't need him that bad since we have the #1 overall pick and could take any QB we felt was a franchise player, like Cutler.  Maybe then the Bronco's would consider swapping our 1 for their 12 and Cutler.  If they want a potential franchise QB, the #1 overall pick is juicy.  But I'm sure they'll want more picks from us. And I read they want a QB to offset their loss, which also takes us out of it. 

So I'm giving us a 1 in 10 chance to get him.  But it's going to be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Thumbs up

Problem is, there aren't any wunderkind franchise QBs in this draft - at least not any worth trading a #12 AND Jay Cutler for.  And everyone, including the Lions, knows that...

Rest assured, someone will certainly overpay for Cutler (somewhere in the Bay Area, an arthritic mouse is cranking a wheel that's marked 'all our draft picks' in Al's dusty skullcave, meanwhile in the greater Dallas area Wade Phillips is getting an earful about how his statement that 'a 2 QB offense doesn't make sense' isn't 'forward thinking) - but I don't see the Lions or the Jets being willing to overspend on a guy that, right or wrong, is now forever a head case - see: George, Jeff - when there are other, smarter moves to be made on both teams (See what happens when you fire Matt Millen?  People actually think through things).....

It's for that reason that I see Cutler in purple and gold for the forseeable future - The Vikings have most of their pieces already set, good receivers and Peterson in place - and have had that 'one decent QB away' feeling for two years now.  Cutler is better than decent, and I see it completely feasible that the Vikes unload their #22 pick, Sage Rosenfels (who can take the helm for two years while the QB the Broncos use the #12 or #22 pick on 'learns') and possibly even their third rounder (possibly getting a fourth or fifth in exchange), and instantly become the team to beat in the NFC North for years to come.

"I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."

Thumbs up

somewhere in the Bay Area, an arthritic mouse is cranking a wheel that's marked 'all our draft picks' in Al's dusty skullcave

That's effin' poetry right there big_smile

Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Thumbs up

Jay cutler has to go some where worse the Detroit. Detroit has Megatron, I would nut myself if I was a Qb if I had the opportunity to play with him.
Send him to the solitary confinement of the NFL, Buffalo.
I like Buffalo, but you would be sending that pansy to the middle of no where with no real WR's.
Oh wait there TO is there. Yes, exactly. What would be better than Jay Cutler stepping up to TO, and telling him to shut up? Not much, but it  would be better to see TO pounding Jay Jays face in.
Though Buffalo has some young pieces they are in the middle of no nothingness, not much to do, and Jay would ultimately end up a huge failure. The cherry on top is that Buffalo has the cash, I think, so they would lock Jay up for years, and he would be out of our hair till he is at least 30.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

MattyP wrote:

Problem is, there aren't any wunderkind franchise QBs in this draft - at least not any worth trading a #12 AND Jay Cutler for.  And everyone, including the Lions, knows that...

No, we dont know that. Some think Stafford is best pure QB prospect to come out in years. His arm strength is off the charts and he had one of the highest Wonderlic scores ever at the Combine.  Not to mention the Broncos coach just took a guy who never played a down of college football and made him look a superstar so he's likely of the opinion that he'd have no issue teaching Stafford or Sanchez how to play.

It's for that reason that I see Cutler in purple and gold for the forseeable future - The Vikings have most of their pieces already set, good receivers and Peterson in place - and have had that 'one decent QB away' feeling for two years now.  Cutler is better than decent, and I see it completely feasible that the Vikes unload their #22 pick, Sage Rosenfels (who can take the helm for two years while the QB the Broncos use the #12 or #22 pick on 'learns') and possibly even their third rounder (possibly getting a fourth or fifth in exchange), and instantly become the team to beat in the NFC North for years to come.

There's no way in hell that the #22 and Sage Rosenfels gets it done for Cutler. Rosenfels is a hair above any of the QB's on waivers now or Chris Simms. The Broncos could easily get a better 1st round pick from about 7 other different teams who would have interest in Cutler.  Hell the Lions would offer them #20 and #33.

You do know that sometimes I just post these things to get you all riled up.  It elevates your game and keeps you sharp in the offseason.

smile

"I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."

Thumbs up

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd Cutler's a Bear.

Don't call it a comeback.

Thumbs up

Well, it ain't gonna be any warmer for him.  But now he can't gripe about the defense.  How many sacks next season???

Dallas Cowboys:  Progressing toward Underachievement

Thumbs up

Now that Cutler is in ChiTown, I'm glad we didn't make this deal.  It was way too much to give up.  We need young blood, and a lot of it.

Thumbs up

Talking Walnut wrote:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd Cutler's a Bear.

Bears gave up a small fortune to get him. Two firsts, a third, and their starting QB? Yikes.

Not sure that the deal helps Cutler's fantasy value either. He has no decent every down WR to throw to, unless they draft one with the few picks they have left. And the Bears OC is notoriously behind the times in some of his schemes. I think he would've been a MUCH better fit in the honolulu blue and silver.

That being said, man Matthew Stafford better be pretty good.

I think you're right BrianLion, with Cutler gone, Stafford is coming our way.  I hope he delivers as well. 

I'm ok with that pick.  I used to want Jason Taylor or Curry, but now that I look at things, a QB at the #1 makes sense. 

First, the #1 pick is going to bank.  To wrap up all that money to a LT or LB is nuts.  It only will handcuff you later when you need to go out and spend big bucks for a QB. 

Second, people keep bringing up how Miami drafted a LT #1 and look at their season.  Well, they still don't have a franchise QB and they don't have a shot at drafting one now that they are above mediocre with an aging above mediocre QB running things.  So they sort of built a solid line, but have no one to guide them all the way.  And their stuck unless they can hit the jackpot in the later rounds of the draft.

Third, you can't think about all the misses you've made previously with your picks.  Many bring up the Joey pick and how that was a bust.  But I counter that with Calvin Johnson.  Following everyone's logic that we can't pick a third WR we would have passed on a superstar.  You need to pick based on THIS year's talent, not on your bad experiences from previous years.

Thumbs up