Topic: Thank You Green Bay

Bryan Bulaga at 23!!! Could not be happier right now. Year after year, the Packers threw some sort of screwball in the first round. Trading out of the first for Jordy Nelson, Justin Harrell, Aaron Rodgers, etc. Rodgers has been great, and Nelson has a bright future, but it is nice not having to worry about where the team is going. Raji, Matthews, and Bulaga. I love it.

Dananananananana BATMAN!

Thumbs up

Re: Thank You Green Bay

Agreed....he shouldn't have been there, thank god they didn't pass him by.  I doubt Clifton has two full years left in him.

"I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."

Thumbs up

MattyP wrote:

Agreed....he shouldn't have been there, thank god they didn't pass him by.  I doubt Clifton has two full years left in him.

I panicked when Denver traded in front of the Packers because I figured they were going Bulaga. O-Line needs, and knowing that the Packers were considering O-Line. I took a huge sigh of relief when they picked the WR. And then my basic instict of praying the Packers didn't do something stupid came in. I guess those days are behind us.

I don't see why the Broncos jumped ahead in the first place. The Packers were no threat to pick a WR, and they could have made the pick at 24. I guess they were paranoid that someone else would trade up, but Bryant was probably the #1 WR on most boards. But then again, when do Josh McDaniels' moves make sense? Tim Tebow? Wow, that shocked me.

Dananananananana BATMAN!

Thumbs up

Nevermind.....Mike Neal? What? Who are we, the Oakland Raiders? The guy is a 4-3 DT, and got a pre-draft grade of 59. I guess Teddy forgot that we're a 3-4 now. Excuse me while I throw my TV out the window.

Looking forward to the continued disaster of Al Harris and Tramon Williams. Why don't we just bring back Ahmad Carroll? Somebody call his drug dealer and find out where he is.

Last edited by SmallTownGuy (2010-04-23 20:12:29)

Dananananananana BATMAN!

Thumbs up

Alright, I like the move up for the Safety, but that still doesn't solve our CB problem. One thing I hate about the draft every year is that by round 3, they don't care about the players being drafted. All they talk about is the first round picks. I don't need to hear you analyze Tim Tebow for 2 more hours. I want to see some tape of these unheard of guys.

Dananananananana BATMAN!

Thumbs up

SmallTownGuy wrote:

Alright, I like the move up for the Safety, but that still doesn't solve our CB problem. One thing I hate about the draft every year is that by round 3, they don't care about the players being drafted. All they talk about is the first round picks. I don't need to hear you analyze Tim Tebow for 2 more hours. I want to see some tape of these unheard of guys.

Here's the thing.....there's no way in hell I want GB drafting a CB - those guys don't work out for us, ever.  Maybe Craig Newsome for a couple of years, and McKenzie....but by and large, the GB history of drafted cornerbacks is a tale of woe and failure....

However, when we pick up '3rd option on current team', or 'reclamation project', the results have seemed to fare much better....so I'm all okay with not ustin gthe draft for that position.

I understand your trepidation with Neal, but realize this:  picking Neal almost directly means the release of Justin Harrel, plus it covers if Jolly goes to the can for drinking all that codeine.  Personally, I would have rather gone with an OLB to compete with Jones, but getting depth in that front three isn'r the worst idea, especially considering Jenkins and Jolly hit free agency next year.

Thumbs up

And 5th TEs are useful also. I really don't get that one. He's a big, recieving TE. JerMichael Finley is our TE of the future, and Donald Lee is under contract until 2013. Spencer Havner obviously isn't long term, but he did a decent job. If this kid has some blocking skills that I don't know about, then I'd like the pick.

And Matty, you always have a way of making sense of things. As much as I'd like to see Harrell become a non-failure, I think it's time to cut the losses.

But when have we ever drafted quality CBs before? Pat Lee? He was drafted way too early, and has yet to get considerable playing time. Ahmad Carroll was an Oakland Raider pick. Drafted based on the combine stats alone. Will Blackmon was a CB/WR hybrid who was better as a returner. That's all I can think of. I think Dom Capers would be able to develope a CB into a valuable player if he had some raw skills coming in.

The Packers just picked another OT, which is fine by me.

Dananananananana BATMAN!

Thumbs up

SmallTownGuy wrote:

And 5th TEs are useful also. I really don't get that one. He's a big, recieving TE. JerMichael Finley is our TE of the future, and Donald Lee is under contract until 2013. Spencer Havner obviously isn't long term, but he did a decent job. If this kid has some blocking skills that I don't know about, then I'd like the pick.

And Matty, you always have a way of making sense of things. As much as I'd like to see Harrell become a non-failure, I think it's time to cut the losses.

But when have we ever drafted quality CBs before? Pat Lee? He was drafted way too early, and has yet to get considerable playing time. Ahmad Carroll was an Oakland Raider pick. Drafted based on the combine stats alone. Will Blackmon was a CB/WR hybrid who was better as a returner. That's all I can think of. I think Dom Capers would be able to develope a CB into a valuable player if he had some raw skills coming in.

The Packers just picked another OT, which is fine by me.

I'm willing to bet that TE pickup will just about do it for Lee in GB - or Havner, who did himself no favors with the offseason motorcycle accident - he's not important or talented enough to not be replaced immediately, but if I were betting, Lee's going to be the one that's gone.

And you bring up a good point about Pat Lee - we drafted him two years ago, seems to have raw talent, so if Capers wants to coach somebody up, might as well be him......all of the names you brought up WERE drafted to be quality CBs - that's my point exactly, we don't draft good ones, and lest us forget Joey Thomas the same year as Carroll....I'll go back to 1999, the year we took CBs three in a row in the first three rounds with Antuan Edwards, Fred Vinson and Mike McKenzie....McKenzie was great until he decided he hated it there, the other two were washouts...althought trading Vinson did bring Ahman Green to GB, so there was some value to him after all.  Roosevelt Blackmon was a washout 4th rounder the year before that...back in 1992, it was T-Buck, who had a nice long career of being undersized and average for a half-dozen teams...in 1991, Vinnie Clark - remember him?  Me neither - was a first round CB pick....

I get that these are all different managment regimes and coaching staffs and that, but it's a personal superstition I have that some teams NEVER draft good players at specific positions, and I believe GB and CBs are by and large a horrible mix.  I would much rather get a couple of castoffs with tread left on the tires and build with them.....just my belief. 

All in all, not a bad draft - nothing stellar, but Thompson generally comes out with more plusses than minuses in the longview, so I've come to trust him this time of year.

Thumbs up

The thing is, the Packers haven't signed anyone with talent since Charles Woodson. Can't remember if Ryan Pickett came before, or after, but that's somewhat irrelevant. Obviously, Woodson was a great success, but the Packers have always been a team that relies mostly on draft talent. That's something that really frustrates me. Especially when I see the Bears and Vikings adding talented players through free agency. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate what the Packers have done. There are very few teams that can have yearly success without adding major parts through free agency.

I agree with you about the draft. It can't really compete with last year, but I am pleased that Aaron Rodgers should have some increased protection this season, and in the long run.

Dananananananana BATMAN!

Thumbs up

You two... get a room!

(Oh, wait. This is your room. Nevermind.)

You had me at Helu.  Helu Who?

Thumbs up