Topic: The Rematch!

yup, its finally time for Machida and Shogun to go at it once again. I don't know about you guys but im stoked. i really don't know who's gonna win, i just want to see a good fight, preferably with Machida keeping his belt.

--as a quick side note. i got the final word of the first fight. leg kicks are not scored highly in the beginning of a fight. according to the rules basically the fighter is only awarded points for immediate damage. so, consider a leg kick (in the early rounds) the MMA equivalent to the jab in boxing. if the leg kicks are not preventing the fighter from continuing to throw punches, kicks, or whatever they are basically worthless in the moment. however, in later rounds as the leg stiffens and prevents the fighter from putting weight on it the leg kicks are awarded higher points because they are now doing immediate damage.

that's why Shogun lost the first fight. Machida was able to take the leg kicks through the first 3 rounds and fight back effectively enough to win each round. when the leg kicks finally started to hamper Machida in rounds 4-5 Shogun easily won the last 2 rounds by dominating Machida. since UFC uses the boxing 10 point must system Machida wins the fight. seems to me this fight is a very good argument for MMA to move to a half point system, it really is the best option for a sport that evaluates the fight on so many levels.

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

heyitsthat1guy wrote:

since UFC uses the boxing 10 point must system Machida wins the fight. seems to me this fight is a very good argument for MMA to move to a half point system, it really is the best option for a sport that evaluates the fight on so many levels.

A agree with you on that for sures! I like the 10 point must, but I would have no problems with the half point system. I'm not to familiar with it though. Is it like the 10 with half points as well?

I'm way to hyped for this fight. I'm going to be rocking my Chute Boxe shirt, and kicking it with my friend who is getting back from Spain on Friday.

WAR SHOGUN!
If Machida wins I'll be fine with that. I just don't want controversy like last time. BUT...
WAR SHOGUN!!!

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

that's exactly how the .5 point system works. since the first 3 rounds were so closely contended shogun would have been awarded 9.5 points for the first 3 rounds which means he's only down by 1.5 total points instead of 3. because shogun completely dominated the last 2 rounds machida would have only gotten 9 points, which means shogun would have won the decision by a half point.

the UFC is attempting to make the change to the .5 point system by the way. i think the judges are pushing for it because it would allow them to judge fights the way they should be.

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

heyitsthat1guy wrote:

that's exactly how the .5 point system works. since the first 3 rounds were so closely contended shogun would have been awarded 9.5 points for the first 3 rounds which means he's only down by 1.5 total points instead of 3. because shogun completely dominated the last 2 rounds machida would have only gotten 9 points, which means shogun would have won the decision by a half point.

the UFC is attempting to make the change to the .5 point system by the way. i think the judges are pushing for it because it would allow them to judge fights the way they should be.

This would be great. Also if judges scored more rounds 10-10 things would be better.
Sometimes that's the best way to do it. I think I scored the 1st round of that fight 10-10.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

i don't think you can split a round, you have to chose a winner and loser.

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

heyitsthat1guy wrote:

i don't think you can split a round, you have to chose a winner and loser.

Common misconception. 10-10 rounds are allowed. The 1st round of Aldo v. Faber was a 10-10.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

Neezy wrote:
heyitsthat1guy wrote:

i don't think you can split a round, you have to chose a winner and loser.

Common misconception. 10-10 rounds are allowed. The 1st round of Aldo v. Faber was a 10-10.

wow, good to know.

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

BAD NEWS!
Apparently Shogun injured his left knee during his camp. Hopefully it wont be detrimental to his cardio.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

Neezy wrote:

BAD NEWS!
Apparently Shogun injured his left knee during his camp. Hopefully it wont be detrimental to his cardio.

yeah, that didn't matter at all. he completely destroyed Machida. it honestly made me a little sad....

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

My friend and I went freaking insane. That fight 7 months ago was the most infuriating MMA fight I've ever witnessed.
My friend, a Machida fan, was jumping up and down with me when it all happened. I've never been so pumped after a KO. I started screaming and jumping after he dropped him, blew my load when he mounted him, opened my arms in a Shogun celebratory manner a few seconds before he did, then I pounded on my chest for a while. After that I jumped into my friends arms like I was the one I KO'd him, and then I picked him up and put him over my shoulder. (he is bigger than I am)
After than I had to find my phone which was lost in all of this madness, but I was way too pumped up and couldn't get it all together.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

And the reports about the bad leg were false.
Shogun had his appendix removed 2 months before the fight.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/5/9/146 … -underwent

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

yeah, i think the excitement was universal. you always want a great fight above everything else and we saw that and then i just stood there in shock about how thoroughly machida was destroyed.

how about that cheap shot by daley? dana white fired him before the post fight conference, and i think it was deserved.

oh, and we can't forget the phantom knee that sent koscheck to the ground? i really really don't like that guy, and i can't wait for GSP to break him in half. but i loved how he put it to those damn canadians. big_smile

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

heyitsthat1guy wrote:

oh, and we can't forget the phantom knee that sent koscheck to the ground? i really really don't like that guy, and i can't wait for GSP to break him in half. but i loved how he put it to those damn canadians. big_smile

You and I really think alike. Daley is a punk, and is really nothing more than a guy with great hands. He will never become a great fighter mainly because he trains in England. The wrestling training sucks over there. I'm glad Dana canned him the UFC doesn't need him anyways.
Also I'm going to love seeing GSP break Kos. GSP is a class act and a masterful fighter, Kos, well he is a chode.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

If this fight was in Japan it would have ended via face stomps hmm Japan is just better is some ways.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Re: The Rematch!

oh, interesting little factoid here. dan miragliotta took a point from daley right after the phantom knee, and then between rounds he reversed his point deduction (all according to the announcers). if this is what happened, if the point deduction really was reversed, that was the first time a point deduction was reversed.

Thumbs up