Topic: World Cup

Here's the official link to those who follow:  http://www.fifa.com/index.html

Go USA! It would be so great to beat England. Those Britts would be devastated.

Loss to Seahawks was worse than loss to Eagles!

Thumbs up

Re: World Cup

This will be the first major world soccer event that I will have to miss in the past 6 years... sucks. But I'll do fine from home.

I think the US should have a solid chance to sink England. The loss of Ferdinand will hurt England with respect to their team leadership. Plus the guy was a solid player. Hopefully it is enough to light a fire under the US and make them want to the game even more. If US wins the first game they should be able to cruise right out of the group stages.

Also, having Altidore back will help a lot with our scoring pressure. We'll need every chance we can get in this tournament. I can't wait for this one to begin. I'll be armed with my vuvuzela and plenty of beer when this gets underway!

It is a fair wind that blew men to the ale.

Well, as one of the more prominent English members of the this site, despite the loss of Ferdinand, we're still looking at cruising the group stages, including a convincing victory over you lot.

Ferdinand has missed a lot of games through injury this season, and hasn't been all that regular for England throughout qualifying. Ledley King, who looks set to fill in for Ferdinand, was in a lot of people's eyes, a better option to start if both were fit.

Ferdinand didn't hold much leadership, he has only been appointed captain recently, and has actually captained the side for a round 90 minutes in total over the last few months. Steven Gerrard has been given the captaincy in his absence. Who, for me, was always the more suitable option once John Terry had to step down as captain.

The USA will make the next round, however, England will top the group comfortably.

Prediction for Saturday: England 2-0 USA.

Thumbs up

Welephant wrote:

Prediction for Saturday: England 2-0 USA.

That's a tad bold!

My prediction: The US players throw a few shots in Rooney's direction which coincidentally leads to him and his temper to flair up, thus booking himself the infamous red card. US cruises with a man advantage to a 3-1 victory.

Of course, England shall rebound and make it through the group stage...

I think every team will attemptto wind Rooney up, but after his latest disciplinary problems (booked in a meaningless game with no tackling for telling te ref to f**k off), Capello lost it big time, first time he broke his calm and cool exterior and unleashed some fury. I don't think he'd dare mouth off or rise to any baiting again.

I was gonna go higher than 2-0 actually, but we haven't been that impressive recently, so I'll keep it at 2-0. From what I read, the US have a well organised defence but lacks pace, especially down the flanks. I know that's true of Spector having seen him a fair bit. One of our major strengths is pace down the wings, G.Johnson, Lennon, A.Cole are all speedy and attacking, in addition to the although slower, incredibly tricky Joe Cole.

That's where it will be won and lost for either team. Anything less than a win of the nature I described earlier will be seen as a failure by our country.

Thumbs up

Welephant wrote:

Well, as one of the more prominent English members of the this site, despite the loss of Ferdinand, we're still looking at cruising the group stages, including a convincing victory over you lot.

Bollocks!  Wanker!  Various other English expressions Ive learned from movies and TV!

In all honestly, I have no clue whats going to happen.  I don't follow soccer/football.  But, hell I'll probably try to tune in just for shits and giggles and root for the US.  Who knows, this might turn me into a soccer fan!  .....well...probably not.  But you never know!

"Allons-y!"

Thumbs up

I love soccer/football. I don't know much about it, but I know I like it!
I've been waiting for the World Cup since the last one, which is what got me into soccer.

Patrick Willis puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter"

You cannot 'andle m-eye uh riddum

Thumbs up

Neezy wrote:

I've been waiting for the World Cup since the last one, which is what got me into soccer.

Wait until you get to attend a World Cup. That will really kick-start your interest.

elliot23 wrote:
Neezy wrote:

Wait until you get to attend a World Cup. That will really kick-start your interest.

I want to really bad, and I hope I can do it. When I say I don't know much about it I mean all of the players and stuff like that. I know a lot of the star players, but that's about it. When I like a sport I like to know everything about it. Soccer I don't so yeah.

Thumbs up

All I know is that the Ivory Coast is screwed without Drogba...

Thumbs up

Geshtahl wrote:

He is still suppose to play. He had surgery on his arm and is hoping to be back for the second game..

TV schedule for those who don't have it...

http://www.worldcupontv.com/

elliot23 wrote:
Geshtahl wrote:

He is still suppose to play. He had surgery on his arm and is hoping to be back for the second game..

Oh righton. Did you see that play where the Japanese player took a run at Drogba like they were playing lacrosse? Brutal.

Thumbs up

Geshtahl wrote:
elliot23 wrote:
Geshtahl wrote:

Oh righton. Did you see that play where the Japanese player took a run at Drogba like they were playing lacrosse? Brutal.

Yeah, that looked painful. I will be impressed if he comes back and plays that quickly. But he is the main reason Cote D'ivoire is the best African team.

Muck Fexico!

Thumbs up

So-So start to the World Cup, hope that hasn't put off any American viewers.

Mexico really should have had that in the bag after the first half, but it wasn't to be. Tshabalala got Man Of The Match over here, not sure about that. Gio Dos Santos was for me, lots of vision, creativity and a constant threat.

South Africa eventually fell to the stereotype of African teams, which is that they're poor defensively. If you notice for the Mexican equaliser, Mokoena tells his defence to push out and play the offside, they do, but he himself stays back and leaves himself 3 on 1. Very poor play.

I missed France v Uruguay but watching the highlights, I don't appear to have missed anything. France showed exactly what they are under Domenech - Clueless. I still think they'll flop and finish bottom of that group. Clear problems in the dressing room too... Rumour has it Malouda was dropped after a falling out with Domenech, and also did you see any passes exchanged between Anelka and Gourcuff? there's rumor of a fall out between those too, and they seemed reluctant to play the ball to eachother. I think that one has legs.

As for today's games, I'm predicting:

S.Korea 1-1 Greece: Greece are stubborn defensively and start all games trying not to lose as opposed to trying to win, I'm not sure Korea have the guile to break them down, but I'll give them 1 goal. Greece should use the height advantage of Charisteas to get a goal from set-pieces.

Argentina 3-0 Nigeria: Not due to Maradona, but simply they have far superior players in every position, and the front 3 of Messi, Higuian and Tevez should be far too much for Nigeria, who aren't all that. Part of me wants them to do well, I've alot of man-love for El Diego, and would hearitly reccomend his autobigrpahy for any budding soccer fans.

England v USA --- I made my prediction earlier, and I stand by it. I'll be sporting enough to wish you good luck... you'll need it haha.

Well anyway, off to church now to pray this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Laters.

Thumbs up

I don't understand why the US is so lax on D. They refuse to match up on their men and they're tentative to close. Not a good start so far...

Thumbs up

Nice Dildo hands there by Green.

Thumbs up

I loved Dempsey's comment after the game. They all count the same.

"How much cheese is too much cheese? "

Thumbs up

Get your popcorn, the british media is going to have a field day with "Green's Giveaway Gaffe"... This should be good.

Thumbs up

Geshtahl wrote:

Get your popcorn, the british media is going to have a field day with "Green's Giveaway Gaffe"... This should be good.

Can you imagine if England doesn't get out of group play? (improbable I know)
He would have to move to the US. Death threats for sures.

Thumbs up

Well... That was slightly embarrasing! I'm ok now, but last night was absolutely gutted. We gifted it to you guys. So many missed chances, Wright-Phillips, Heskey, Lennon. They should ba ashamed of themselves. as for Greens mistake, well the less said the better. I coach a girls under-14s team, if our keeper did that, shed have got an earful, it's that basic a mistake to let the ball roll across your body as a keeper. He won't be between the sticks next Friday for sure.

Well done anyway USA, a solid if unspectacular performance, I wish we'd played like that. The groups wide open now, and I'm fearful.

See you again soon, I'm off for an incredibly large slice of humble pie.

Thumbs up

My thoughts from today's games:

GER vs SEB
Klose should not have been given the second yellow. Germany didn't play well but that one didn't help. Of course missing a PK doesn't help either.

US vs SLO
The US deserved to get into a 0-2 hole after their poor defensive collapses. Complete opposite second half. Several bad calls (hand ball and called back goal). Worst officiating I've seen since the US vs Italy game in the last World Cup. At least it was good too see the potential of the US team there in the second half. If they can play like that against Algeria they have a good shot of moving on.

ENG vs ALG
Props to the goalie for Algeria, the guy was awesome in his first game. England played awful! If they had showed half of the game they played against the US it would have been an easy win. Shame on them.

With Algeria and England's draw, Group C is wide open now.

Thumbs up

Good thing Findley is out for the next game. He sucks.

Thumbs up