Topic: The 411 on the Redskins QB situation

I know the rest of the league has more important things to worry about as the 2011 season approaches, and the Redskins have largely been deemed undraftable for fantasy purposes.

However, if you are in a keeper league and are interested in taking a late flyer, It's John Beck, not Rex Grossman who will be starting this season.

This article explains exactly what is going on, and why, and how far back the Shanahans went all Captain Ahab for John Beck.

Toggle SpoilerSpoiler

Jason Reid of the Washington Post wrote:

In the Shanahans’ eyes, John Beck is the Washington Redskins’ starting quarterback
By Jason Reid, Published: August 15

The Washington Redskins’ supposed quarterback competition between Rex Grossman and John Beck isn’t a fair fight. The winner is predetermined. The fix is in.

All along, the job has been Beck’s to lose.

That’s what Redskins people have been saying privately for months, insisting Coach Mike Shanahan and his son, Kyle, the team’s offensive coordinator, have already selected their guy. That for better or worse, the Shanahans are rolling with Beck.

Obviously, plans can change. Beck’s groin injury was an unexpected setback. An abysmal preseason performance from Beck could prompt a reevaluation. Ultimately, Mike and Kyle could still decide Grossman gives them the best chance to win this season.

Barring further unforeseen developments, however, the Beck period in Washington is already underway. All that’s left, apparently, is making the move official.

How long it lasts depends on whether the Shanahans are correct about their inexperienced protégé. But if they’re truly set on Beck as the starter, you’ve got to admire their conviction.

After failing spectacularly with Donovan McNabb, the father-son coaching tandem could have taken a safer route. They could have pursued an accomplished veteran to challenge Beck despite potential difficulties a newcomer may have experienced in their complex offensive system. They could have named Grossman the starter at the outset of training camp and given Beck, who has only one season in their offense, more time.

Instead, they’re all in on Beck. The Redskins have added lower-tier quarterbacks who pose no threat to him. That leaves Grossman as the only obstacle between Beck and Washington’s top spot, and the judges who matter are rooting for Beck.

By now, it’s widely known Mike and Kyle were enamored of Beck during his college days at Brigham Young University. They continued to admire him from afar throughout his first three nondescript NFL seasons, during which he played in only five regular season games — none since 2007.

At Mike’s insistence, Washington traded for Beck before last season and rewarded him with a contract extension. The Shanahans’ plan was in motion before Beck’s nameplate was dry on his Redskins Park dressing stall.

What’s not common knowledge is that Mike and Kyle and their coaching underlings regularly praise Beck in the team’s Ashburn training complex. That Beck quickly grasped the offense and usually shines in film review. And that Beck has done much in a short period of time to impress Mike, who doesn’t impress easily.

Fact is, the Shanahans see something special in Beck. To them, he’s not simply the best option. They believe he’s someone who could lead a perennial winner.

Mike and Kyle don’t care if Beck is viewed less favorably throughout the rest of the NFL. They’re confident they know what they have.

All of this, though, begs the question: If the Shanahans are so sure about Beck, why not have named him the starter once the lockout ended?

Because that’s not the way Mike works, Redskins employees say. In the Alpha male world of the NFL, Shanahan is second to none in his competitiveness. On Shanahan-coached teams, players earn their starting positions. Especially at quarterback, the position upon which Shanahan has built his professional reputation.

Shanahan enjoys observing Beck perform with the added pressure of competition. He’s interested in how Beck leads. For Shanahan, the evaluation process never stops, and he’s hoping Beck continues to make the right moves.

After McNabb was benched late last season, Grossman started and Beck, for the final two games, became the second-string quarterback. Wisely, the Shanahans kept Beck on the bench during the final stages of an awful 6-10 season, protecting him until they had time to improve Washington’s roster.

Presumably, Beck should have a better chance to succeed this season because the Redskins have better parts.

With Beck watching from the sidelines in 2010, Grossman didn’t do enough with his big opportunity. He mostly directed the offense well in his first start against Dallas, but had two interceptions in a loss.

Although the Redskins defeated Jacksonville in Grossman’s second start, he played poorly, completing less than 50 percent of his passes. Grossman passed for a season-high 336 yards in a season-ending loss to the New York Giants.

Statistics aren’t most important to the Shanahans. The offense Mike designed and Kyle began learning shortly after birth will produce big results, they believe, as long as players execute.

The key is efficiency. The Shanahans expect quarterbacks to seize the scoring chances they’re confident their offense will present. The moment one is wasted, Mike and Kyle see it, even if it’s not apparent to anyone else.

Grossman was strong statistically in Friday’s preseason victory over Pittsburgh, completing 19 of 26 passes for 207 yards and a touchdown. He also has much more experience than Beck.

Unfortunately for Grossman, his shortcomings have been repeatedly exposed over time. The Shanahans know what to expect from Grossman. His best rarely has been good enough.

Mike and Kyle think Beck has a higher ceiling. The Shanahans are eager for a fresh start. They’ve already shaken up a lot. No need to stop now.

© The Washington Post Company

The thing is, Kyle Shanahan's passing offense is a fantasy football wet dream. In 27 games under Kyle Shanahan, Schaub threw for 7700 yards, 44 TDs ans 14 INTS. He'd been a very pedestrian QB before that time. Yes I know he had Andre Johnson to throw to in Houston, but so did David Carr, and so did Schaub before Shanahan arrived in 2008.

In 2010, McNabb, cranked out 3300 yards in 13 games, while not fully embracing the system. Grossman, who knew the system from Houston, had two 300+ yards games in his 3 starts last year.

Combined, they threw for over 4200 yards, 21 TDs, and 19 INTs, with five 300+ yard games. Not a bad campaign for a team with such crappy receivers and a porous OL.

So the idea is that a smarter QB (in this case, Beck), can run the system, and keep the INTs down. It's not inconceivable that the Shanahans could make a (fantasy) star out of this mediocre QB.

I'm not saying you should draft Beck to start. There is every reason to think that he could have a terrible September and then sit on the bench while Grossman starts. But during crap time in your draft, if you have a slot on your roster to fill and Beck is still there, he could be the 2011 equivalent of 2010's Matt Cassel or 2009's Kyle Orton. If nothing else, they'll be a bad team playing from behind, which tends to produce decent QB stats. If you're in a keeper league where you pay draft picks equivalent to where you drafted the player, he could be a bargain for the future.

Last edited by 7grain (2011-08-17 00:35:01)

You had me at Helu.  Helu Who?

Thumbs up +2

Re: The 411 on the Redskins QB situation

http://i44.tinypic.com/2vum3k0.jpg

F*ck It. I’m Throwing It Downfield.

Is that Berrian? I think he’s triple-covered. You know what? F*ck it. I’m throwing it downfield.

Yeah, I see Jones open on the flank. But f*ck that. Dumpoff passes are for faggots. I’m f*cking Sexy Rexy Grossman. I can get that ball in there. And, even if I can’t, I bet I’ll be able to pull it off the next go round. I like throwing the ball long. It makes my Mojofinger hard.

What’s that? I should throw a quick slant? F*ck that. That’s gay. Button hook? Gay. Flare out? Gay. Screen pass? Kevin Spacey gay. This is f*cking football. You can’t just expect wins to come to you. You can’t massage that sh*t. You gotta grab that game by the throat and rape the ever-loving sh*t out of it. You think a 5-yard out is gonna win you a game? You’re a Furry Taco. This ain’t John Shoop running this offense. Sexy Rexy’s got the arm. The dragon. You gotta unleash the dragon.

Okay, I’m throwing it. Nice. Look how far it went. I look good. I bet I made that Pats cheerleader wet her panties with that throw. She f*cking wants me. I bet she likes it over a stair railing. I can hit that with 100% accuracy, my dear. Mmmmmm. I am delicious.

Oh sh*t. Looks like Samuel caught it. Again. Oh well. It still felt f*cking great to throw that sh*t. Tell me that wasn’t one of the prettiest passes you ever saw. You know what? Not only am I gonna throw it long the next time we hit the field. I’m gonna throw it even longer. Harder. You see that kid in wheelchair sitting in the end zone bleachers? I’m gonna nail him right between the f*cking eyes with a Sexy Rexy fastball. Why? Because I can.

This is Rex Grossman we’re talking about here. We’re talking 210 lbs. of twisted steel and sex appeal. I’m not just a gunslinger. I’m a cumslinger. Throwing that ball long tells all the Rexettes that I am f*cking out there. On the edge. Where I gotta be. The ladies love the danger. The unpredictability. Oh, maybe I’ll tease them with a pretty touch pass every now and again. But then I’m gonna go right back to pumping that ball out for all it’s worth. It tells them I throw like I f*ck. That’s how we do things in the sexy business.

Tell me you’re not turned on right now. I am.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/200 … field.html

Last edited by Drexl (2011-08-16 13:43:35)

I'm all up in your Twitters!!1!

"I don't play video games...that's cool...I get laid instead..." -Liz Loza
"It was a fine looking penis..." -MojoX

Thumbs up

Re: The 411 on the Redskins QB situation

And there you have it - the reason why you shouldn't draft before the final preseson game is completed. Sexy Rexy won the job after all... although I doubt he'll hold it for long.

You had me at Helu.  Helu Who?

Thumbs up