Topic: What's Your Payout Structure?

I became the commissioner of our league last year and immediately changed the payout structure, which instantly pissed off everyone...until they all started making money.

I've changed it a bit again this year. What is your payout structure?

PAYOUT
Winner of Reg Season    $200
League Champ                $400
2nd Place                         $200
3rd Place                            $100
Weekly ($10 x 16)            $160
Consolation Bracket         $50
Most Points                      $90

$ League 6-5: QB: Romo | RB: CJ?K, MJD, ABrown, Tolbert | WR:Cooper, Randle,  Amendola, Boykin, Percy, MAustin | TE: Orange Julius, DWalker

Family League 10-1: QB: Stafford, Newton | RB: McCoy, FJax, Stacy, Andre Brown, DBrown, Rainey | WR: Dez, DThomas, Percy, Wright | TE: Cameron, DWalker

Re: What's Your Payout Structure?

I like when payout structures reward a bunch of people and keep the majority engaged up to and through the playoffs. So it goes like this:

14 teams @ $75 = $1050
$149.99 to CBS for the league (we like the site, what can I say?)
$100 for most points during the regular season
$200 for second place
$500.01 for the champ
$100 for the winner of a consolation tournament (a non-elimination, three-week points derby that keeps all non-playoff teams active through NFL week 16)

Once upon a time, league dues were $100, and we also had weekly scoring prizes, but so many teams were cashing out the year with $25-50 (after buying in for twice as much), it felt like kind of a letdown, as far as prizes go. Better to slash the upfront cost.

2007 -- 2013

Thumbs up

12 teams @ $50 ($600)

$10 per week ($130) weekly points leader
$300 league champ
$120 second place
$50 third place

I like tacos!

Thumbs up

11th year running my 12 team league...$125 entry with $2 per transaction. Entry fee back to 2 division winners, and then remainder including waiver money (75% / 25%) to champion / runner up. I think weekly points winners is a good idea to keep the shitty teams interested.

Thumbs up

Mojo, is yours 12 team $100 buy in?  That's what it looks like, but wanted to confirm.

Thumbs up

kettledrum wrote:

Mojo, is yours 12 team $100 buy in?  That's what it looks like, but wanted to confirm.

confirmed.

$ League 6-5: QB: Romo | RB: CJ?K, MJD, ABrown, Tolbert | WR:Cooper, Randle,  Amendola, Boykin, Percy, MAustin | TE: Orange Julius, DWalker

Family League 10-1: QB: Stafford, Newton | RB: McCoy, FJax, Stacy, Andre Brown, DBrown, Rainey | WR: Dez, DThomas, Percy, Wright | TE: Cameron, DWalker

$40 X 12 = $480 total pot

$280 - First Place
$120 - Second Place
$40 - Toilet Bowl Winner
$20 (x2) - Division Winners

"...You don’t have to drive creative folk like most workers. They drive themselves. Just wind ‘em up and let ‘em go." – Linds Redding

I had to drop my league buy-in from $50 to $30 last year to keep people in, and I still fell to 11 players last season. sad Good news is that we're back up to 12 this year (but still $30).

With a reduced pot, I had to scrap my weekly prizes, but I do keep $10 "bounties", which are year-long prizes for the following:

Bounty 1 - Fantasy King of the Hill (see below)

Bounty 2 - Highest scoring player

Bounty 3 - QB with longest touchdown pass (regular season only, starters only, no bench players).

Bounty 4 - RB with longest touchdown run (regular season only, starters only, no bench players).

Bounty 5 - WR with longest touchdown reception (regular season only, starters only, no bench players).

Bounty 6 - Winner of the Survivor Pool (below).

The rest is split 60/30/10 among the top 3: That's $120/60/20 last year.

If you are interested in Fantasy King of the Hill (Bounty 1), it's a game I invented. Each week, several of the lowest-scoring fantasy teams get a "strike". After three strikes, teams are eliminated. Eventually, only one team remains. The bar raises each week as the crummy teams are eliminated and the best keep going. If that sounds complicated, click here to view my prize page from last year, where there's a handy chart that shows how it played out.

The Survivor pool(Bounty 6) is just a regular old survivor pool. MyFantasyLeague.com gives you a tool to run one in your league with zero extra effort, just making weekly picks. A confidence pool, too, but I don't base a payout on that.

Last edited by 7grain (2011-08-26 12:37:04)

You had me at Helu.  Helu Who?

Thumbs up