Re: The Avengers

Drexl wrote:

"We are like the Justice League...but we're not the Justice League..."

Actually, the Fantastic Four was created as Marvel's answer to the Justice League  .... NOT the Avengers.

Oh well, at least nobody posted asking why John Steed or Emma Peel aren't in this movie.

" Don Shula, .... he can take his'un and beat your'un and then he can take your'un and beat his'un " - actual quote of Bum Phillips in the 1970's

Thumbs up

I forget that I'm still such a nerd/dork/geek...watching the Super Bowl, my wife saw the trailer/teaser for this and was all, "WHAAA?"  I'm thinking, "um, duh, it's Joss Whedon...It's been in the works for years!"  lol

I'm all up in your Twitters!!1!

"I don't play video games...that's cool...I get laid instead..." -Liz Loza
"It was a fine looking penis..." -MojoX

Thumbs up +1

NEW TRAILER!!!!!

Thumbs up +2

fudge yeah

Nobility of Intent does not Offset Stupidity of Execution

Fing Fang Foom at the end of the trailer.

http://www.superrobotmayhem.com/images/comic-book-movies/iron-man-2/fin-fang-foom/ironman-2-movie-easter-egg_225.jpg

http://www.superrobotmayhem.com/images/comic-book-movies/iron-man-2/fin-fang-foom/ironman-2-movie-easter-egg_226.jpg

Thumbs up

He's in the trailer for about 12 seconds, and yet I can already see Mark Ruffalo should have been Bruce Banner from the jump.

"I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."

Thumbs up

I think im gonna need a new pair of pants.

Honestly the only one of these heroes I even liked as a kid was the Hulk.  I was more of an X-Men and Batman fan.  But this movie looks really, really good.

That was the most prolonged orgasm I've ever had.

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, it's usually something unusual.

Thumbs up

I'd like Scarlett to persuade me!
smile

"I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... And I'm all out of bubblegum."

RIP Roddy

Thumbs up

dbschoo wrote:

smile

I cant see her without picture her a$s.

xlledx wrote:
dbschoo wrote:

smile

http://abortionsforall.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/lit1.jpg

Thumbs up

Drexl wrote:
xlledx wrote:
dbschoo wrote:

smile

http://abortionsforall.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/lit1.jpg

Some day penis.  Some day.

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/Avengers-Soundtrack-550x772.jpg

Thumbs up

I guess I'm the first one to see this.  It's flipping amazing. Lots of laughs and intense action.  I doubt even xlledx will hate this one.  I'm seeing it again tomorrow.

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, it's usually something unusual.

Thumbs up

Corn Bread wrote:

I guess I'm the first one to see this.  It's flipping amazing. Lots of laughs and intense action.  I doubt even xlledx will hate this one.  I'm seeing it again tomorrow.

SPOILER:

It's xlledxing amazing! 

Dear God.  The entire third act I was just constantly thinking to myself "no way!  This can't possibly be this awesome!"

Not to pile on like a fanboy nerd but I was totally blown away by this movie. Obviously the action was great but the characters were surprisingly well balanced; I was surprised to see how even Black Widow was fully developed. I was also surprised by a lot of the laugh out loud moments, especially scenes with the Hulk.

Last edited by Voodoo Rage (2012-05-07 10:34:13)

Thumbs up +1

Joss Whedon is the man...I cannot wait to see this.

Thumbs up

AmazingMattyP wrote:

He's in the trailer for about 12 seconds, and yet I can already see Mark Ruffalo should have been Bruce Banner from the jump.

Not only is he the best movie version of Banner but Whedon handles him properly.  He's not a dour, manic wreck who's terrified of his alter ego.  He's a shy, brilliant likeable guy who tries to keep everyone at bay because he doesn't want to wreck their sheeznaz.  Banner and Stark's interactions are priceless. 

I took my 5 year old boy to see it.  When he and I stood at a Dr. Pepper display with our mouths agape I was committed to taking him on opening day.  I figured if I could watch Indiana Jones slaughter Nazis at his age he could see The Avengers.  There are a few good scares, a dude gets the old blade erupting through the chest and a scene where horrific violence is implied, but it's no worse than Luke getting his arm cut off in my opinion.   My only problem now is that it's going to be a long time until I can take him to a movie that will twop it.

The cool thing is since it was May 4th at the Alamo Draft House we ran into Chewbacca.  Pretty good day.

Last edited by Corn Bread (2012-05-06 08:51:50)

Thumbs up

Ok, time to sit down and write a serious nerd review of this movie.  Well, its not really a review.  A review has critiques.  This is just some serious nerd gushing.

Toggle SpoilerSpoiler

I xlledxing loved this movie.

Reason #1:  The hero on hero action.  Here v Hero is nothing new in comics, but it's usually because one of them gets turned evil (course, that happens here too).  In this movie they fight each other because they dont understand each other.  Great idea.  It allows for some epic fight scenes, without having to flesh-out too many news characters (read: villains) at once.

Reason #2:  It ties all the movies together brilliantly.  The villain from Thor is after the tesseract from Captain America.  The Hulk is still seen as an antagonist by the government, but hands himself over willingly to help find the Tesseract.  And Iron Man is there because he's awesome. 

Reason #3:  Airship.

Reason #4:  The action scenes are "are you xlledxing kidding me?"  The entire third act was just one mental explosion of orgasmic nerd goo after another.  The shots that just seemed to go on forever, transitioning from one hero to another.  It's like, thats how I imagined everything when i was a kid playing with all my toys.  You'd transition from Spiderman over here, to Wolverine over here, to Torch over here.  And it all blended together into one big epic battle. 

Course now, Im an adult and I dont have that imagination anymore.  I cant pick up some 5in tall pieces of plastic and get that effect.  So to see it, on the big screen, it was like experiencing something I hadn't experienced since I was 12.  It was like getting to see the imagination of my 8 year old self-projected on the big screen.  Just xlledxing amazing.

Reason #5:  It really leaves me exciting for the future.  Now that SpiderMan is being rebooted, is he going to be in Avengers 2?  What about Wolverine?  What about the X-Men?  They already rebooted the X-men with First Class.  Which was awesome btw.  So are they gonna do a First Class 2?  Call it "The Uncanny X-men."  I hope so.  Then they can eventually do an Avengers vs X-men cross over. 

And how are they gonna do Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Captain America 2 now?  It seems that after this ensemble performance, it may be hard to put the genie back in the bottle, and do single hero flicks again.  I suppose, they really have to keep the single hero flicks character driven.  Really flesh out the characters.  Really set up some great plot points.  Then use Avengers 2 as a pure action movie that ties them altogether.  That could work.  Kind of like in music, you have the "1...2!...3...4!!" beat.  Build up, build up, build up, EPIC ENSEMBLE!  Build, build, build, EPIC ENSEMBLE!  etc.

And what about the Hulk?  I think they finally got the Hulk right, but can he carry an entire movie?  He was a great comic relief, but Im not if he's suited for a lead role.  Course, my dream come true, and Ive probably mentioned this before, is for a Wolverine vs Hulk movie.  If my nerd memory serves, Wolverine was developed as Weapon-X to assassinate the Hulk for the government. 

Course, now that the Hulk is part of the Avengers, that plot would make a little less sense, but still.  And I wish that was the plot of Wolverine: Origins and that Hulk remake with Edward Norton. Should have just combined those two sh1tty movies into one good movie.  But Im pretty sure licensing issues are in play, so who knows if we'll ever see any sort of Avengers vs Xmen cross over.

One thing Im curious of, is Tony Starks gonna outfit the rest of the Avengers?  I dont mean, is he going to make them all Iron Man suits, but is he going to upgrade their gear?  Captain America would benefit from some ballistics armor, right?  The two humans, Hawkeye and Naked Cell Phone Pic Girl could maybe use some sort of augmentation?  Nothing that would restrict their agility, but something.  Especially Naked Pic Girl cuz her firepower was pretty weak.

Speaking of fire power, are we gonna see more of SHIELD's secret Telsa tech?

Reason # -1:  Ok, there's one critique I have of the movie.  And its not even really a critique.  Here, Ill explain.  The villain was kind of weak.  The invading army...kind of a bunch of push-overs.  I mean, I thought Loki was cool, and the actor really seemed flesh out the character more, but I never really got the sense that he stood a chance.

Yknow what I mean?

A good action movie makes you think "omg, how are they ever gonna get outta this one?"  Think of Star Wars.  They got 20 snub fighters going up against the xlledxing Death Star.  Darth Vader is picking them off one by one.  He's got Luke in his cross hairs.  How's he ever gonna make it?  And then BOOM Han Solo comes back to save the day, and the rest is history.  The suspense was incredible.  And that end action scene is like 20 minutes long (it seems at least). 

This movie doesnt have that.  I never once for a second believed the movie that this Loki guy and his sh1tty army of low-health bar mummy covenants was gonna win.  When the word came through that the government was pulling the plug and about to launch a nuc on New York, I was thinking "really?"  The movie just didnt seem to project that sense of desperation. 

BUT, the reason this isnt a critique, is because it was awesome anyway, and more importantly: it sets up for a better sequel.  These movies always try to top themselves with bigger and better sequels right?  Well I think they set themselves up for that very well. 

Think of the Star Trek reboot.  The one knock on that movie, is that the Villain was pretty weak.  Well, yea, but it worked because the real story was the struggle between Kirk and Spock.  Spock was the antagonist of that movie.  Not Eric Bana.  So by focusing on inter-hero conflict, theyre setting themselves up for a bigger and badder villain in the sequel. 

Im thinking the Avengers basically went the same route.  So that's why it's not really a critique of mine.

Reason #6:  I thought this movie was incredible, and I didn't even grow up liking these guys.  I always thought the Avengers were Marvel's B-Team.  I grew up on Batman and the X-Men.  I never had a Captain America or Thor toy.  Well...I might of.  But if I did it was some crappy hand-me down that invariably got killed off at the first wiff of trouble.  I thought I had an Iron Man toy, but it turns out it was War Machine.  Who knew?  Not me.  I didnt even realize he could shoot laser beams out of his hands.  Or fly.  Im pretty sure I just thought he looked cool.  Now the Hulk on the other hand, I definitely had his toy.  Course, given my childhood obsession with muscle bound men, that was a given.

So my point is, they took comic book characters i didnt like a kid, and made me interested in them as an adult.  That's pretty damn impressive.  Course it leads me wondering, imagine an ensemble comic book action movie with good heroes like SpiderMan and Wolverine.  Or hell, Superman and Batman. 

DC.  Please steal a page from Marvel.

Edit:

Reason #7:

Samuel L. Muthaf23kin Jackson.

How did I forget this one?  Oh yea, cuz the movie is so xlledxing amazing, thats how!  I was glad to see Sam Jackson greatly expand his role of Nick Fury here.  Perfect for the role.  Granted, I think that virtually any role in cinema history would have been better cast as Sam Jackson.

http://evangodbold.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/luke-skywalker-7.jpg

"But I wanted to go to Toshi Station to pick up some muthaf23kin power converters!" - Luke Skywalker

http://aspectratio.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/r2_2_010223.jpg

"Let my muthaf23kin people go!" - Moses

http://www.turzman.com/turzman/jaws0002.jpg

"I've had it up to here with these muthaf23kin people, on this muthaf23kin boat!" - Shark from Jaws

Last edited by xlledx (2012-05-06 14:14:11)

Corn Bread wrote:

My only problem now is that it's going to be a long time until I can take him to a movie that will twop it

its called the dark knight rises mofo!!!!

opening in 2 months...u wont have to wait long!

Last edited by dallasfan54 (2012-05-06 22:21:20)

"evil will always triumph because good is dumb"

-Dark helmet

Thumbs up

dallasfan54 wrote:
Corn Bread wrote:

My only problem now is that it's going to be a long time until I can take him to a movie that will twop it

Well.  Theyre gonna be hard to compare.  I have a hard time saying whether Dark Knight is better than Avengers.  Theyre too different things.  Ones a bently and the others a ferrari.

xlledx wrote:
dallasfan54 wrote:
Corn Bread wrote:

Well.  Theyre gonna be hard to compare.  I have a hard time saying whether Dark Knight is better than Avengers.  Theyre too different things.  Ones a bently and the others a ferrari.

This.

Also I'm not taking a 5 year old to The Dark Knight Rises.  Same rating, different tone entirely.

Thumbs up

Drexl wrote:

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/Avengers-Soundtrack-550x772.jpg

Literally only one of these songs is in the movie and it plays over the credits.  The Soundgarden one.  And it sucks.  I stayed until after the credits and only 4 songs are listed in the credits.  A classical piece, Soundgarden, Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC, and another song that I didn't recognize.

Thumbs up

Weird.  The shoot to thrill in the movie was AC/DC, but the shoot to thrill on the soundtrack is a cover by Theory of a Deadman.

There were two after credits scenes in my movie. Spoiler Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first one showed that Thanos was the ultimate faceless bad guy that they were talking to in the beginning of the movie. He's a biggie in the comic book; pretty much with God-like powers.

But if you wait until the credits are finally over there is a brilliant scene showing the team just wordlessly sitting around chowing down on "Shawarma" (that place that Tony had recommended during the movie).

Thumbs up