Topic: 2012 Draft worksheets

Those of you who have created worksheets (thanks!), lets create a single topic to list them all. Please keep the link updated.

Please link to your sheet, give a brief description, and post a link to the forum topic discussing your specific sheet. Thanks!

PPR Player Rankings With IDP and Auction Values

Standard Player Rankings

Re: 2012 Draft worksheets

Forum Thread: MF Cheat Sheet Generator beta 0.7

Links to worksheet are in my sig!

At it's core the Cheat Sheet Generator is a three step process.

1.  Enter League Info
2.  Enter Rankings
3.  Print Cheat Sheet.

Thanks for setting this up Lyle.

Last edited by xlledx (2013-07-22 21:49:31)

Excel Port of MF Cheat Sheet Generator

MF Cheat Sheet Generator - Auction Values

I think have xlledx's blessing to do these. Anyway, the first one is an excel port of his spreadsheet.

The second is similar but for auction drafts.

Thumbs up +2

Average Projections, Variance and Standard Deviation Calc (normal size leagues)
Average Projections, Variance and Standard Deviation Calc (larger leagues)

These sheets generate 2012 scoring projections based on the scoring results of 2008-2011 from your league.  The sheets also compare each point total to the average at each position, while calculating the variance and standard deviation of each position for each year. For a more detailed explanation of the math, click here.

Im sorry, I cant hear you over the sound of my own awesomeness...

Thumbs up +2

TMF Worksheet is an Excel spreadsheet that recalculated The Magic Formula results for the user throughout the draft as each pick is made.  Additionally it incorporates user entered cheat sheet/player rankings and make recommendations as the draft progresses based off the running TMF calculation.

TMF Worksheet v4.1  -  snake draft version
TMF Worksheet v4.1.1  -  straight draft version

Please enjoy the worksheet, and provide feedback in the thread linked below.  Feedback from the users really helps make TMF Worksheet better and better!

Workshop:  TMF Worksheet v4.x

Additionally, listed below is a link to the original TMF Worksheet v1.0 which will walk you through the basics of running The Magic Formula for your league, and an online version I recently threw together that will do the same without requiring you to download anything.  Enjoy!

Last edited by Joosbawx (2012-08-16 20:55:52)

Thumbs up +2

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I was just wondering if there is any forum "etiquette" to posting draft worksheets.  I'm nearly finished with my own crazy hybrid of Joos's TMF Worksheet and a similar idea that incorporates ADP trends.  I don't want to be the noob that comes running in saying "Hey everyone! My sheet is cooler than yours!" but I want to share my ideas with some like-minded people and look for feedback.  Just wanted to know if there's any protocol I should follow here.  Thanks guys!

Thumbs up

I, personally, have zero problem.  TMF Worksheet is an experiment and ongoing project.  If someone comes up with something better then I'm all for that.  I'd love to see your work, man.

Thumbs up

Post 'em if you got 'em!

2011 Fantasy Stats in excel format

2011 Stats

The shoulder surgery was a success. The lobotomy failed. (Mike Ditka on Jim McMahon's surgery)

Thumbs up +1

Here is the spreadsheet I've been using to get a 5 year average to use in Joosbawx's TMF worksheet.  The last tab has all of the averages.  You can change the formula to match your league's scoring system.  Not sure this will help but thought I'd add something since I get so much from everyone else.

5 Year Historical Stats

Thumbs up

Where's your rankings list Lyle????

Thumbs up +1

travis_sigmapi wrote:

Friday (tomorrow).

Thumbs up

Mountain Maniac wrote:
travis_sigmapi wrote:

Friday (tomorrow).

Did Lyle's and Kevin's get posted today?  If not does anybody have a list they recommend?  My draft is tomorrow.

Last edited by BigolTDs (2012-08-17 23:22:47)

14 team league

Thumbs up

Lyle mentioned in another thread that there would be a slight delay due to fun with drinks and friends.
Maybe we'll get an extra interesting list posted at 3am.

Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Thumbs up

meathorse wrote:

Lyle mentioned in another thread that there would be a slight delay due to fun with drinks and friends.

Where are they?  I have a draft in a few hours

Thumbs up

mr hate coffee wrote:
meathorse wrote:

Where are they?  I have a draft in a few hours

Front page of the site.

Ninja, can you explain a tad more about the Bench Modifier in your auction sheet? I believe on a previous thread, you said you use 1 for QB, 1.25 for RB, 1.33 for WR and 1.0 for TE.

I'm matching up the values this sheet is spitting out with previous prices in my league and it's got some pretty scary accuracies. Rodgers usually goes for about $70 (6pts/score thrown) and Megatron went for $55 on the dot last year. But it's valuing Arian Foster at $86, McCoy at $68, etc. Looks like the RB numbers are getting hiked up a tad, along with some of the WR numbers. It even has Gronk valued at $45.

Might I be doing something wrong with the bench modifier? Thanks!

12-team, $200 Auction league with two keeper max and a $10 minimum on keepers
QB - Eli, Schaub; RB- Peterson, CJ2K, Sproles, Spiller; WR - Julio, A. Johnson, R. Wayne, V. Jackson; TE-Kyle Rudolph

Thumbs up

updated my auction spreadsheet - http://useless.wikidot.com/local--files … 2rA01.xlsx

@AWK - it will only value one RB at the top spot, and if there was concensus about the top guy he would go for $86. but because there are 3 guys basically tied up there, you can take the average of the top 3 (about $70) and they will all go within a couple of that.

Its not a perfect solution, but next version will include ranges for each pick as well (foster's range would be $56 to 86 for example)

Thumbs up

Ninja,

Your work is excellent.  Thank you and all the others for sharing your ip with the rest of us.  I have tracked your models for your last three versions and there are some questions I have. 

1.  Entering the same inputs into the newest version and the one posted earlier in this same thread I am getting different values for the MF Cheat Sheet ('Step 3') albeit the variance is only a few dollars.  Why is this?  Have you changed your formulas or historical data?

2.  When you enter the actual value an owner spent for a player in 'Step 3', the model dynamically updates the MF and auction values of the other players on the board.  However it also updates the values of players already bought.  Once a player is bought shouldn't their projected auction value/MF value be locked and the model re-appropriate values only on players available? 

3. Our league has keepers.  To keep a player your $200 is deducted $10 + the amount that player went for in last years draft.  How you you suggest incorporating this into the model?  Just entering this value into the actual value spent in 'Step 3'?  For example, Gronk is being kept and since he was picked up off waivers his cost to keep is $10.  Entering $10 spent into 'Step 3' I would expect the cost of J. Graham (my TE2) to jump.  However it only increases by a few cents.   Thoughts?

Thumbs up

Kids With Guns wrote:

1.  Entering the same inputs into the newest version and the one posted earlier in this same thread I am getting different values for the MF Cheat Sheet ('Step 3') albeit the variance is only a few dollars.  Why is this?  Have you changed your formulas or historical data?

I fixed some problems that xlledx had told me existed in the base version of the spreadsheet.

Kids With Guns wrote:

2.  When you enter the actual value an owner spent for a player in 'Step 3', the model dynamically updates the MF and auction values of the other players on the board.  However it also updates the values of players already bought.  Once a player is bought shouldn't their projected auction value/MF value be locked and the model re-appropriate values only on players available? 

It does the background calculations on the "live calc" tab but I can see that the way it is laid out is not quite intuitive. The calculations are correct, but I can lock the values for players already drafted.

Kids With Guns wrote:

3. Our league has keepers.  To keep a player your $200 is deducted $10 + the amount that player went for in last years draft.  How you you suggest incorporating this into the model?  Just entering this value into the actual value spent in 'Step 3'?  For example, Gronk is being kept and since he was picked up off waivers his cost to keep is $10.  Entering $10 spent into 'Step 3' I would expect the cost of J. Graham (my TE2) to jump.  However it only increases by a few cents.   Thoughts?

You are indeed doing it the correct way. It will increase the value of TE slightly. However if you look at the entire spreadsheet, it will increase the top RB by $1, the 2nd RB by $0.95 etc so the entire amount of the savings (say gronk is worth $40 but goes for $10, so $30) is split among every player, not among TEs only.

Thumbs up

Okay that Auction Cheat Sheet is frickin' cool Ninja. I have no idea how to use it but still. Awesome.

Thumbs up

Mookie81435 wrote:

Okay that Auction Cheat Sheet is frickin' cool Ninja. I have no idea how to use it but still. Awesome.

Just focus on the tabs 'Step 1', 'Step 2', 'Step 3' and only enter data in cells that Ninja highlighted blue.  Every thing else is based on calculations.  If your a novice, Ignore the other worksheets - they just present different views on the same info.

Step 1.  Just focus on your leagues info (# teams, starting positions, and points).  For the manual scoring you can leave it at 20% for all years.  Changing the weighting does very little to the auction values.

Step 2.  Do a copy/paste of your favorite rankings into the blue cells.  TFFG, ESPN, Yahoo, whatever.

Step 3.  Based on your inputs (from Step 1 & 2), the MF and historical stats, the model now imputes an auction price per player.  Print this out and use it as a guide when drafting.

IMHO the model is not set up right now to work dynamically - entering actual prices and recalculate the remaining players cost based on total cash avail. and the MF.  Ninja mentioned he might work on this in his next update.

Hope that helps...

Thumbs up

@Kids with Guns - thanks for the explanation. Hopefully this will make it more straight forward.

However....

Kids With Guns wrote:

IMHO the model is not set up right now to work dynamically

you are wrong. It subtracts money (and points) from the available pool every time a player is taken. Ignore the dollar values for players already taken.

If you want to take a look at how the calculations work - see the "live calc" tab. I am open to any suggestions on how to improve Step 3 to be more intuitive.

Thumbs up

Ninja, I don't think you can just ignore dollar values for players already taken.   By entering in actual auction values per player you are decreasing the pool of available players (n-1).  However in its current state the recalc is keeping (n) constant.  This leads to revalues which are inaccurate.  Have you tried locking the values of players and seeing how the worksheet runs?

Thumbs up

Kids With Guns wrote:

Ninja, I don't think you can just ignore dollar values for players already taken.   By entering in actual auction values per player you are decreasing the pool of available players (n-1).  However in its current state the recalc is keeping (n) constant.  This leads to revalues which are inaccurate.  Have you tried locking the values of players and seeing how the worksheet runs?

They do lock! the $/point calculation is done on the "live calc" tab, and then brought into step 3.

I have two variables - x which is total $ remaining, and y which is total points remaining. They are dynamically calculated, so even though n changes for each player when someone is drafted, it is accounting properly for bids on previous players. I can change the presentation if that makes you happy but believe me the underlying calculations are correct.

Thumbs up