Re: Rate my TGGF PPR 12 team Draft - with thought process

Well, I bet youre all dieing to hear my rational for these picks...so here goes...

1.6 D Will   I had D Will as #2 overall behind AP.  My conviction was tested when Michael Turner fell to me here, but I stead fast...even though Fleaflicker had D Will projected at #14 (wtf?).  I make myself a screwdriver.

2.7  G. Jennings  I figured Grant, or a Grant-substitute would be there in round 3, so I take my fav WR on the board.  Roddy White was also available.  I make another screwdriver.

3.6 R Grant  Woohoo! There he is!  Im really high on Grant this year.  Last year he had 1200yds with a bad hamstring.  He should be healthy, adn the Packers should be a better team this year.  Im guessing 1500 total yards.

4.7  K Smith  Man, this guy fell to me here.  A featured back in round 4?  It must be Christmas.  I tell myself that I can go WRs for hte next 3 rounds, grab Garrard late, and pick up some RB fliers.  For TE ill just pick up Chris Baker or soem random guy off waivers.  I make another screw driver.

5.6  A Gates  I couldnt believe I took a TE!  But time ran out, and I didnt see anyone I liked.  The WRs I did like, ala A Gonz and DeSean Jackson were long gone. 

6.7 T Romo  Wait?  What happened to the grab a QB late and snatch up a ton of WRs plan?  Oh well, Romo in the 6th is damn sexy!  Too bad TO has a toe injury...

7.6  B Wells  In retrospect...Im fine with this pick.  He looked good in preseason.  Running a 20yd TD and a 2 yd TD.  If he can stay healthy, then Ill be good.  Plus, theyre gonna have to run with Fitz being put on IR.

8.7 A Bradshaw  Value. 

9.6 D Ward    See above.

10.7 D Garrard  And above.

11.6 J Galloway  Please god, as much as I like the Patriots, plz God plz have Moss or Welker get run over by a truck.

12.7 J Maclin  I dont see Kevin Hurtis (get it?) playing that much.

13.6 T Williamson  A lot of guys read into the postseason to see how guys are gonna do the following year.  Big names like Larry Fitz and Santonio "Wut up?" Holmes.  Well, i read into the preseason.  Project this guys stats out to 16 four quarter games, and you get 3,744 yds and 27 TDs.  If he gets even HALF of that Im gold.

14.7 Glen Coffee  I dunno.  Too much value to pass up for some scrub with a "WR" next to his name. 

15.6  MIN D/ST  Pretty good D/ST.  Why not.

16.7 James Jones  Oh yea!  If you add up all my #3 WRs you gotta think that somebodies gotta get hurt right?  I mean, between Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, DeSean Jackson, Kevin Curtis, Torry Holt, and the Jags #2, that somebody has to get hurt right?  Yea exactly.  #2 WR, here I come.  (and scratch Jennings from that list).

All in all, I think I probably did the best out of anyone.  People read too far into the custom scoring and went WR crazy, which screwed me a little, but I came out with some great players.  Most guys only drafted 3 RBs, but theyll soon realize that just because you can start 1, doesnt mean you want to start 1.  And if not, I can always just change the roster settings to 1 QB, 5 RBs, no WR, 1 TE, 1 D/ST, 1 K.

Starting Lineup
QB Romo
RB D Will
RB Grant
WR Jennings
WR Galloway
WR Maclin
TE Gates
DST Vikings
K TBA

Bench
Garrard, 15 RBs, Troy Williamson, Greg Jones.

StrategyMan wrote:

I really like your draft in this format. All the picks are well-thought out in the scoring format that really favored WRs and made them the most valuable commodity in the draft. (guys like Derrick Ward and Thomas Jones were falling to 8th and 9th rounds).

Sproles and Washington were two players I targeted in this format; but, you scooped them up before I could. Welker, Smith, and TO will give you arguably the best 3 starting WRs in the league. Welker will add some punt return yards as well.

Shaub is the only pick that seemed early; but, in that format QBs are really valuable as well. I might have taken Warner; but he looks risky all of a sudden. Funny, this time last year; Warner was taking the job from Leinhart and it looks like the same thing could be happening now. Last year on this weekend Leinhart had 3 turnovers and Warner lite it up the second half. Same thing happened this weekend with Warner making the turnovers and Leinhart throwing 3 TDs. Warner will be given more time to turn it around due to his success last year; but, I see Leinhart creeping up on him.

Overall, I would say excellent. I like Carlson and Daniels at TE in this format as well. Both could be Top 5 TEs.

Here is my draft in the same league. Picking from the 9 spot:

1. Randy Moss
2. Tom Brady
3. Clinton Portis
4. Pierre Thomas
5. Dallas Clark
6. Braylon Edwards
7. Hines Ward
8. Thomas Jones
9. Devon Bess
10. Robert Meachem
11. Ravens D
12. Julius Jones
13. H. Nicks
14. E. Graham
15. James Davis
16. S. Gostkowki

I'm really kicking myself for not taking WRs in the 3rd and 4th rounds due to all the value in RBs in later rounds. That was a big mistake. Taking Brady and Moss early was a response to the bonus system and 6 points per TD and the bonus for long plays.  You can see how heavy the WR runs were in this league - Davone Bess and Robert Meachem looked like All-Pros in rounds 9 and 10.  Overall, it was an interesting draft with one team auto drafting and one team stockpiling RBs. (which it was hard not to when they kept droping to obscene rounds)

thats a solid squad especiall for a ppr, i like the moss/brady combo....portis is still gonna get yardage, thomas imo is gonna have a big year, dallas clark is great, ward catches everything....pretty good overall.

Thumbs up

ninjajakem wrote:

Also - here was the draft strategy for dbschoo and xlledx: DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS

Best moment of the draft:
dbschoo drafts Da Bears DST
reponse: whoa its 11 bears in one!
xlledx: DAMN YOU DA BEARS WAS MY NEXT PICK

Here is how DaMiniDitkas were drafted (from spot 11)...

1 - LT (figured it was too early to take the Other AP)
2 - Slaton (perfect for the flex spot)
3 - Bowe (starting to regret not taking WR in 2nd)
4 - Ochocinco (now really regreting not taking WR early. Drinking pace picks up)
5 - Cutler (things looking up! Was convinced xlledx wouldn't let him last this long)
6 - Olsen (whats better than 1 Chicago Bears stud? Two!)
7 - C. Henry (not sure about picking a second Bungle, but like Henry a lot this year)
8 - M. Lynch (whatever happened to David Lynch anyway?)
9 - Devery Henderson (what the heck. timer was running out while I was at the fridge looking for another beer)
10 - Mushin Muhammad (an ex-Bear! WR pool obviously thinning out early)
11 - Da Bears D/ST (obviously a lot of value right here. Should have gone 7-8 rounds earlier.)
12 - Ben Roethlisberger (not that Cutler needs a backup. Damn bye week.)
13 - McGahee (did I really click the button for McGahee? What are they putting in beer nowadays?)
14 - Fred Jackson (fighting-urge-to-take-another-Bear...Johnny Knox so temping)
15 - Issac Bruce (Why the hell isn't Ditka listed anywhere? What a friggin' ripoff!)
16 - Jabar Gaffney (soon to be dropped for a certain kicker from a certain team from a certain city that will win a certain championship trophy next year)

Last edited by dbschoo (2009-08-31 21:39:59)

"I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... And I'm all out of bubblegum."

RIP Roddy

Thumbs up

Update: Chance of Shaub getting through the year in one piece: Less than 1%

Thumbs up

My squad, coming from the 4 spot.

1) Steven Jackson - I like Steven Jackson, a lot.  I like him even better in the PPR format, and do not buy into the DeAngelo Williams hype.  I choose to go with the guy that is basically everything to his team's offense this year.

2) Marques Colston - the Johnsons and Fitz were long gone, I remembered that we had to start three WRs, and like a rebound year for Marques....

3) Aaron Rodgers - With the 6 pt TD, killer preseason, and my general belief that he will be one of the top 2 QBs in fantasy this year, I go homer and take my boy Rodgers, and considering the amount of QBs that went off the board in the first five rounds,  I've never doubted it.

4) DeSean Jackson - at some point in here, WRs started flying off the board in droves, and tycoon surprised the hell out of me by snaking Reggie Bush back at the turn....but that's fine with me, I view Jackson as a guy who won't suffer a second season setback, and with bonuses for return yards and long scores, he's the fella I wanted here regardless. 

5) Knowshon Moreno - I don't care if he's been dinged this preseason, nobody in Denver has done much to show me he still won't be the guy, and a guy with a lot of opportunities in this Kyle Orton-led season....thought it might be a touch early, but wanted to secure him with an assload of veteran backs still sitting on the board, figured I'd take the chance that one would come back to me.

6) Larry Johnson - and one did....I got my 'I believe he's coming back' pick this year, but at least I didn't take him in the third round (see:  2008 TFFG Official League, Williams, Ricky).  My plan is to stick him in the flex for a couple of weeks and see how Knowshon starts the season.

7) Santonio Holmes - Needed a WR3, and Santonio, who is my one 'player I hate' on this roster certainly fit the bill in the seventh.

8) Earl Bennett - With Forte, Olsen, Cutler and Hester off the board, I took Earl Bennett here to completely f*^k xxledx out of having any Bears offensive players on his roster.

9) Donnie Avery - With his quick return to the active list, I like Avery's chances to be a good #1 WR for the Rams, and hopefully the only other consistent offensive threat they'll have.

10) Kellen Winslow - There were a lot of TEs already off the board, and I think Winslow could easily be the most relaible weapon Byron Leftwich will have.....

11) Shonn Greene - I wanted Greene from the beginning of the draft, the receiver options were thin by this point, and just wanted to get the RB corps finished up.

12) Brett Favre - If only for the pleasure of having him sit behind Rodgers on my bench.  Barring injury to Rodgers, which would screw the season regardless, he's playing one week, and that's week 5, when he's still got plenty of gas left playing the Rams at home.

13) Packers Defense - Charles Woodson forced three fumbles by himself in the first half against the Cardinals, and their takeaways overall have been out-of-this-world since Capers took over.  I look for plenty of scoring from them all year long

14) Jermichael Finley - I love this guy's preseason, I love his athleticism, and I love the maturity he's showing in year 2.  Also, his three TDs from Rodgers in three preseason games doesn't hurt....I'm already debating starting him over Winslow.

15) Rob Bironis - See, we didn't HAVE to draft a kicker, but I see no point in drafting some other scrub I have to cut in a week anyway, so I took Bironis because he's a top 5 guy, not that it really matters at the position

16) Eagles defense - because the Packers are off in week 5, and the Eagles D was still there at the end, so just like with the kicker decision, I'm happy with my early and middle round picks, so why not stick them in a spot until I need them in week 5.

"I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."

Thumbs up

#5 overall:

1. DeAngelo Williams (him or LT, debated, and just went with the younger guy.  Maybe a mistake)
2. Calvin Johnson (too good to pass up compared to everyone else that was there)
3. Ryan Grant (like his prospects this year with Rodgers developing)
4. Kurt Warner (probably too soon, but there was a QB run)
5. Braylon Edwards (actually think Quinn will throw him the ball alot this year, lots of PPR)
6. Felix Jones (I can't  believe they won't get him the ball this year)
7. DeSean Jackson (McNabb has no one else to throw to)
8. Kellen Winslow (ugh.  Love his talent, but he's so injury prone.  There were no other TEs left)
9. Fred Jackson (needed a RB, best one available.  Kinda like this one)
10. Devin Hester (feel that Cutler will get him the ball, since they have no real threats otherwise)
11. Earnest Graham (TD machine)
12. Matt Hasselbeck (back up.  Eh, ambivalent about this one)
13. Mark Clayton (best WR available at the moment)
14. San Diego Defense (needed a defense)
15. James Davis (RB, Cleveland) (like his potential, and think he could take some carries away from J. Lewis)
16. Neil Rackers (kicker, whatever).

Thoughts?

Thumbs up

McGruber wrote:

#5 overall:

1. DeAngelo Williams (him or LT, debated, and just went with the younger guy.  Maybe a mistake)
2. Calvin Johnson (too good to pass up compared to everyone else that was there)
5. Braylon Edwards (actually think Quinn will throw him the ball alot this year, lots of PPR)
8. Kellen Winslow (ugh.  Love his talent, but he's so injury prone.  There were no other TEs left)
10. Devin Hester (feel that Cutler will get him the ball, since they have no real threats otherwise)
15. James Davis (RB, Cleveland) (like his potential, and think he could take some carries away from J. Lewis)

Thoughts?

One.  You're not posting in the right thread - this is specifically for the guys here in this specific league to analyze how they're trying to screw each other over.  You're new here, so no worrie...just please re-post in a new thread.

Thumbs up

MattyP wrote:
McGruber wrote:

#5 overall:

Thoughts?

One.  You're not posting in the right thread - this is specifically for the guys here in this specific league to analyze how they're trying to screw each other over.  You're new here, so no worrie...just please re-post in a new thread.

Yeah, my bad.  Sorry about that.

Thumbs up

McGruber wrote:
MattyP wrote:
McGruber wrote:

#5 overall:

Thoughts?

Yeah, my bad.  Sorry about that.

Still, I like your team and your pick-by-pick analysis.  Stick around.

Thumbs up

MattyP- Dont think your Earl Bennet pick in round friggin 8 went unnoticed.  Still.  In an odd twist of fate, we actually face eachother in the season opener...how poetic.  So, Ill not only have the joy of destroying you in fantasy, but Ill get to see Crazy Jay Cutler cut up the Pack.  That what we call a two-for-one in here in the adult film industry.

Lets breakdown our matchup...assuming you keep your lineup unchanged...

You got Rogders vs the Bears I got Romo @ TB.  Well that easy.  Rodgers is gonna throw 5 picks, and leave the game early due to dislocatedkneeitius.  Romo.

You got SJax @SEA I got D Will vs WHO THE F@#$ CARES.  Ill take D Will here.  Btw, youre about to find out why I give bonuses for 200 yd games.

WRs vs WRs eh who cares.  If the Bears dont need any stinking WRs then I dont need any stinkin WRs.  Who's the Vikes return man?  Bring him here, hell be our #1 WR.  Dont forget to pay him $10 mil a year.

RB #2 You got Larry Johnson vs his line, and I got Ryan Grant vs Hicag.  As much as I hate to admit it, Ryan Grant hasnt figured out that the Bears are supposed to be a top Run D.  Oh well.  Id love to throw up a donut on this one.

TE You got Kellen Winslow and I got the Immortal Antonio Gates.  @Oak.  I predict 10 catches for 100 yards and 2 TDs for Gates.  For Winslow I predict sympholius.

K You got Biboronas and I got I dunno.  Who cares.  Gould is still out there tho DBschoo.  Dont make me grab him.  Sexually.

D/ST you got ... wait you actually took the Pack's DST?  WTF is wrong w you.  I got Vikes.  And since Jay CUtler is gonna beat our franchise record of 73-0, Im gonna have to give the nod to the Queens.

Wait a second...you drafted a backup DST?  Deer God.  And a backup TE? 

Btw, Ill trade ya straightup, James Jones for Earl Bennett.

"Btw, Ill trade ya straightup, James Jones for Earl Bennett."

Is this some sort of vague James Earl Jones reference??

2014 Lyle Podcast League Champion

Thumbs up

2010 Update

So, we had our draft last night.  I was in a really sh!tty mood, but I still think I drafted well.  It players sure dried up quick towards the end tho.  I had wrote up this "Draft Strategy" a few days before the draft:

"Rd 1 DWill

Rd 2 White

Rds Best Available RB/WR

Take Matt Ryan Late

Take Gresham or NE R late

dont draft K/DST

load up on WR fliers"

8th pick I ended up with:

Round 1: Michael Turner.  DWill still on the board.  I flip flopped on this one.  I like how Turner is not in a RBBC, even tho I think DWill will play huge in a contract year. 

Round 2: Roddy White.  Love this pick.  WRs were flying off the board, and I got one of my favorite guys.  He produced with Joey Harrington throwing him the ball, a rookie, and injured Matt Ryan, and now a fully-healthy 3rd year Matt Ryan.  Hard to believe he still has upside after all the numbers hes posted.

Round 3: Wes Welker: I'd be lieing if I said I was completely happy with this pick, but WRs were flying off the board, and he was my last guy from my #2 WR tier.

Round 4: Addai.  Ive stayed a way from Addai for a while in fantasy, and every year he produces.  This year hes had a great preseason, and hes in a contract year.  Also, Donald Brown cant block, so that keeps him off the field.  Good in PPR too.

Round 5: Jon Stuart. Not a great pick, but at this point I had 3 RBs I liked left, Stuart, LT, adn Ricky Williams.  I went into the draft wanting 4 RBs, so I needed to grab two of those three.

Round 6: Donald Driver: Honestly he shouldnt even be here in the 6th round of a 3 WR PPR.  Great offense.  Great preseason.  I know Jennings and Finley are gonna steal touches this year, but theyre gonna move that ball and score some monster points.  Great #3 WR.

Round 7: LT. I probably could have waited an extra round, but Ricky just got picked, leaving LT as the only RB I liked left.  Hes had a monster preseason, and hes runnign behind a monster OL.  I know hes in an RBBC, but the Jets are gonna have to run it a million times this season.

Round 8: Jabar Gaffney.  I needed a good backup, and none of the names looked that sexy at this point.  Gaffney is TFFG's 20th WR overall, if you average out their rankings.  And every other podcast I listen to loves this guy.  I dont see it, but in a vacuum I sided with the experts.  Probably coulda waited on him tho.

Round 9: Matt Ryan.  Made a small mistake here.  I coulda waited till the 10th, cuz all he guys behind me all had stud QBs.  Course, it worked out in the end.  Im super high on Atlanta's offense this year, incase you couldnt tell.  Matt Ryan was great as rookie, played hurt last year, and now is primed for a breakout season.  Im not expected 4,000 yards or anything, but enough production to allow me to punt QB.

Round 10: Dexter McCluster.  A lotta my sleepers were flying off the board already.  A problem with drafting with all TFFG vets.  I think McCluster is gonna see time as a WR, a RB, and a return guy.  If you add up all those touhces, he could become the biggest steal of the draft. 

Round 11: Devin Thomas.  Got my eyes closed at this point.  3rd year WR with an upgrade at QB.  Who knows.

Round 12: Julian Edelman.  I honestly hate this pick.  He's injured? WTF.  Thought I was getting a handcuff to Welker.  He may have some value, but not on my team.  Ill prolly end up dropping for a kicker.

Round 13: NE TE.  I forget his name.  It ends in a -OWKSI, if that helps.  He caught 4 TDs in the preseason, all from Tom Brady.  Ill ride him out for a few weeks, and if hes killing me then Ill drop him for a medicore TE.

Round 14: Austin Collie.  Had a great rookie year.  I think INDY can support 3 WRs.  If not, oh well.

Round 15: CAR DST.  They had something like 50 sacks this preseason.  Course, they play New Orleans and Atlante twice a year.  Oh well.  Ill prolly just stream defenses all year anyway.

So last year before the draft I went through the scoring rules and roster requirements with a fine-tooth comb and I built a really solid pre-draft strategy of exactly what to do to win the championship. And I did.

This year I got complacent and the fame got to my head.  I didn't prepare at all and showed up tipsy because these fools wanted the draft on the same day as my annual day-before-labor day bbq & beer fest.  Cheap shot, guys.  Anyway here goes...

1.05 - Frank Gore. I have him as my 3rd overall ranked player so I'm happy to get him at 5.  It was between him and Turner but I like Gore more in this format.

2.08 - Ryan Matthews. I normally would have gone WR here, but 9 of them were taken since my last pick and so I was already looking at tier-3 guys, vs Matthews who I actually have as my 7th ranked RB.  7th may be a bit of homerism but screw you he's the feature back and he's looked amazing in pre-season, I'll take him as my RB2 every time.

3.05 - Chad Ochocinco. Definitely not the best WR1 a guy could ask for, but with T.O. drawing coverage and overall a much more potent offense than we've seen over in Cincy for a few years, I think Chad is actually a very safe pick in the 3rd.  I figure I'll lock in a guy who won't suck this year and then find high upside WRs later.

4.08 - Antonio Gates. 2 Chargers in the first 4 picks was not scripted I promise.  Actually I had to fight the urge to grab Rivers in the 5th round because I was surprised to still see him there.  But I digress.  Homerism aside, I have Gates all by himself in the top TE tier because with VJax out of play I believe Rivers will lean on him even more.  Also, I would have gone WR here if not TE but I liked a bunch of them the same so I thought getting a TE train moving along would push most of the WRs back to me in round 5. It worked.

5.05 - Mike Sims-Walker. I'm not in love with this guy like some are but he was the top ranked WR left on my board.  I figure he's gonna be a safe WR2 but could have WR1 numbers a few weeks this season.

6.08 - Felix Jones. RBs were getting thin so I needed to grab my 3rd asap.  I like Jones a lot in PPR and he's an explosive guy so he could also benefit from our long yardage bonuses.

7.05 - Justin Forsett. Still need my 3rd WR, but at this point I'm looking at a group of about 5-7 WRs that I like who should still be around for 3-4 rounds, so I take Forsett who doesn't play for a great team but he is still a lead back in the NFL and has a great amount of upside vs risk for an RB4.

8.08 - Darren Sproles. Again, all the WRs I would have taken in rd 7 are still on the board, so I continue to wait.  Sproles was my highest rated RB at this point and since I took Matthews in rd 2 it was a safe play.  I figure once I get this pick in I can stop worrying about RBs for the rest of the draft and focus on my QBs and WR fliers.

9.05 - Carson Palmer. SUPER happy to get him in the 9th! I love Cincy's offense on paper as I said earlier so I think Palmer could have a huge year.

10.08 - Lee Evans. Ya.. he's currently my WR3. But hey, he played like a solid WR2 in '06, right?

11.05 - Kevin Kolb. Really surprised to see Kolb still around. At this point I'm extremely excited to pair a quarterback committee of Palmer/Kolb.

12.08 - Devery Henderson.  With Lee Evans as my WR3 and a QB2 already booked, I decided that pick 12/13 needed to be WR no matter what.  Henderson isn't going to be a consistent start but he has potential for amazing numbers some weeks.

13.05 - Mohamed Massaquoi - I don't love the pick, but as far as I can tell he's the only guy left in the draft who is a WR1 on his own team, so I figure he's more likely to produce than most anyone else I could choose.

14.08 - Nate Kaeding. Okay I admit, THIS one was a homer pick.  Suck it.

15.05 - NYG Defense. I don't even know why, to be honest.  I haven't checked on defenses this year at all so its a crap shoot.  Hopefully they get some sacks or something.

Well, there's another championship roster. Sorry, guys. Maybe 2011.

Thumbs up

I hate drafting at the top of the order because I feel you get limited to one stud instead of two by the time your second pick comes around, and not a gigantic fan of drafting at the end either, just because I believe that you lose that one 'rock-solid' guy to lean on somewhere around pick 8 or 9 in the first round.

So last night, I had two simlutaneous drafts, one at the #2 spot, one at the #12.  Awesome.  I lost track of what I was thinking about a dozen times.  Anyway, this league put me in the two hole, so here we go.

1.02 - Adrian Petersen - I'm not a huge fan of taking 'the top 3 guys' since that year I took LT with the first pick in two leagues and he proceeded to suck.  However, this is a 'top 2' guys year, and I would have been an idiot not to take AD. 

2.11 - DeSean Jackson - As xxledx may have inferred, this league had a lot of WRs coming off the board early, thanks to the PPR and 'Start 3' elements.  I love the talent of DeSean, but I'm not convinced that Kolb is going to be all that effective this year.  However, he was the highest receiver I had rated still on the board, and last year I ignored the 3WR requirement and spent all year trying to cover it (granted, I lost in the championship, but it was a lot of stress getting there).   I'm okay with this one.

3.02 - Anquan Boldin - Since I felt like I had a Tier 2 WR as my primary with Jackson, opted to pair him with my other top Tier 2 guy, and that was Boldin.  I like the Ravens offensive chances this year, Anquan is always tough as nails when he's on the field, and I felt more comfortable with the WR corps, as I had no opportunity to get a Top 10 guy.  My goal was to get two Top 20s to compensate, and I think I accomplished that.

4. Vernon Davis - I had hoped Mike Crabtree would slide here, but he went four picks earlier - then Pierre Garcon and Mike Wallace went off the board.  At that point, I felt we had slipped into Tier 3/4 on receivers, so I said 'eff it' and grabbed Vernon, who won me a lot of games in a couple leagues last year.  I would have preferred to not go TE that high, but I like Vernon more than any of them, Gates was off the board, and with zeiger running two picks between me, I said to hell with it.  Zeiger ended up using one of his on Dallas Clark - I don't know if a TE was in his plans at that point, or if it was reactionary to Gates and Davis coming off the board, but I don't care.  With the scoring in this league, if VD does 2/3rds of what he did last year, I'm happy.

5.2  Pierre Thomas - Our commish switched the old flex spot to just a standard RB2, Pierre has good skills, and I like his chances of excelling this year without Bell there distracting him. Also, he had NO BUSINESS still being on the board in the fifth round.  I grabbed him and was elated.

6.11 Clinton Portis - While I don't love Clinton, I like him with Shanahan and he won his job outright.  In the 6th, he's decent value, and with the RB wells running dry in this league at this point,  I just wanted one starter to plug in on bye weeks - Clinton fit the bill, though I diverted from my plan to grab better caliber receiver.  However, I immediately realized I was an idiot.

7.02 - Joe Flacco - I had planned on grabbing Flacco from the get-go for this league, but then when Peyton Manning and Brady didn't go until the 4th round, I thought - I can still wait and get better.  Had I skipped Portis, who likely would have still been there three picks later, I would be starting Tony Romo. Stupid.  But once Romo was off the board, I decided I didn't want to screw around with Favre or Kolb, and that I should just grab the QB I wanted in the first place.  So I'm happy, but not as happy as I should have been if I wasn't a moron.

8.11 and 9.02 - Mike Williams.  I've done this in three leagues, and I still don't hate the idea.  I'm taking a giant chance that Seattle Mike Williams is halfway decent to start for a few weeks (they cut Housh for him, that should mean something, maybe...hard to tell with the Seahawks).  And I wanted to walk away with either MW Tampa or McCluster from this draft, ended up grabbing the other Mike Williams probably because it was fun to draft them back-to-back (kinda like zeiger took both Steve Smiths back-to-back on the turn between the 2nd and 3rd rounds).  Plus TB Mike is a #1 guy on his team, and in a reciever-centric league, I'll likely need him earlier than the wild-card of McCluster.  Besides, nobody would be as stupid as me to take McCluster this early anyway.

10.11 - T.J. Houshmanzadeh - I was wrong.  xxledx is as stupid as me, and he snaked McCluster from me on the way back. But that's cool, because I had faith TJ would quickly land somewhere he would be utilized, and this was good value here.  Granted, I had no idea this would end up giving me the QB and BOTH the primary receivers for the Ravens at the time, but I don't hate it.  As long as Baltimore scores 48 points a game this year (because I have Rice in three other leagues), I'm gonna win this bitch.

11.2 - Green Bay Packers D - Screw it.  I wanted the Packers D, period.  Way more than I wanted Nate Burleson, Sam Bradford, Mario Manningham or Brandon Jacobs, all who went after this pick.  No apologies.

12.11 - Larry Johnson - Then there's this.  I didn't want to do this.  Not at all.  But, I started thinking about Portis, and how I only want him for two weeks, and what if he's not available to play those two weeks?  So I handcuffed him.  I handcuffed my RB3.  Shanny's done more with less, right?  Would have taken Torain, but the Skins went and cut him.  And the guy before me took Marshawn Lynch, so it isn't that bad, right?  Eh, forget it, this pick sucked.  This is the first guy I cut.

13.02 - Garrett Hartley - Again, I wanted this guy kicking for me, period.  More than I wanted to take a flier on Arrelious Benn, or Danny Amendola or Mohammed Massaqoui.  No apologies.

14.11 - Kellen Winslow - Normally I wouldn't take a backup TE, but screw it.  If VD somehow reverts to the old version of himself, I have the one consistent and proven arial weapon on the Buccaneers.

15.02 - Vince Young - V10!  I STILL BELIEVE!

I'm gonna take fifth in this league.  Maybe.

Thumbs up

I just got finished with two of my drafts when Soss called me up to be a last minute replacement for this league.  I had a good five minutes to review the leagues rules and scoring.  I noticed a few things right away.  This league was made for a consistent scoring qb (6 pt tds - 3 ints), most of the random bonuses are to farfetched to make an impactful difference (+3 points for breaking the single game record for rushing yards) and the roster size relative to starters was very small (Only 6 bench players and an IR).

1.10 - Calvin Johnson- Being the 10th pick in the draft, all the top rbs were off the board, in fact even a few extra who belonged in the later rds had been drafted (Benson).   I wasn’t about to reach for a rb, when I loved so many of them late so I went with who I believe is the 2nd best wr.  What’s not to love about Calvin this year, he doesn’t have to learn a new offensive system, he has a better supporting cast and Lineham loves to throw the ball in the red zone (CJ had 20 targets in the red zone last season).

2.3 – Brandon Marshall – I have Marshall ranked #1 at wr in ppr leagues, so it was tough for me to pass him up in the 1st rd.  At my 10th pick only Andre Johnson had been drafted and Marshall was so far down the list I knew I could get him in the 2nd, whereas I didn’t think CJ would fall. 

3.10 – Jahvid Best – I wanted Arian Foster, but he went one pick before me, I still love Best, especially when you get points for long distance tds, watch out 99yard bonus and its ppr.

4.3 – Pmanning – I almost took Manning in the 3rd, but after Spiller and Foster were drafted I knew I had to get Best.  I am still shocked Manning fell this far, he is perfect for this scoring system, looks like I may have spent five minutes longer than everyone else when I looked over the leagues scoring.

5.10 – J.Harrison – I never like to force myself into drafting a particular position, but with rbs falling off the board, I was happy to get Harrison.  The Browns have an underrated offensive line and Harrison has little to no competition for carries.

6.3 – T.Owens – Owens is another player I love in ppr leagues this year, look for him to play the old Housh role.  He has a better qb in Palmer throwing to him and he won’t be double teamed as much.

7.10- D.McFadden – I am not a big fan of McFadden’s but I had to get at least 1 player soss likes to get late.  McFadden is the starter for now and the Raiders have an extremely easy schedule and they love to run the ball, who knows soss could be onto something. 

8.3 – M.Barber – I am really surprised he fell this far, he is the perfect rb to balance the high boom/bust core I have put together.  Barber is still the main rb in Dallas and FJones is literally 1 carry away from being out for the season.  Even if and that’s a big if Jones is healthy Barber will get plenty of touch’s enough to plug him in if one of my high risk reward rbs doesn’t work out.

9.10 – V.Jackson – I have put together one of the few teams that can take this risk because of the solid core of wrs I have on my team in front of him.  In all likelihood he will be traded by the beginning of the season making him the best value in the draft.  If not he can sit on IR until he comes back right in time for the playoffs.

10.3 – 49ers Def – Usually I hold off on drafting a defense, or just don’t even draft one.  I love the 49ers defense this year and with this leagues scoring it is important to have a good D.  Plus with a smaller roster size of 15 relative to starters it puts more of a premium on #1s at every position. 

11.10 – C.Taylor – I am not a big fan of Forte and Taylor is another great rb for ppr to help balance out my rb roster.

12.3 – Z.Miller – Someone has to catch the balls in Oakland right?

13.10 – D.Amendola – I have been very impressed with what I have seen in Bradford and Amendola.  I already have a solid core of starting wrs so I can take more risk later at this position.  One thing about smaller rosters is that it means there are usually good players to be had in FA.  If you are solid at a position it allows for you to take more risk on your bench. 

14.3 – M.Thomas – Thomas is a wr I have been drafting late in all my ppr leagues, once again able to take the risk.

15.10 – O.Daniels – Why not grab another TE especially when my first one is playing for the Raiders. 

You’re welcome for the championship team Soss, it was a fun draft and extremely competitive.

Thumbs up

AaronW wrote:

most of the random bonuses are to farfetched to make an impactful difference (+3 points for breaking the single game record for rushing yards)

Not random!

Course, I admit that the rules do look like a briar patch of nonsense, but thats mostly how Fleaflicker has them organized.  I can summarize the entire bonus system in two sentences:

Touches and yards get a +1 for a bunch, +2 a lot, and +3 for breaking the single game record.

Long TDs get bonus point on an aggregate scale.

You did a great job for The Soss tho given you just kinda walked into a completely foreign scoring system with all TFFG veterans.

My goal in finding a replacement drafter was someone who shared my same philosophies and someone who's ego was at least as out of control as mine.
Check and check.

2014 Lyle Podcast League Champion

Thumbs up