Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

xlledx wrote:

And when I say a proper space battle, I mean one that actually tells a story.  A beginning, middle, and an end.

<3 me a good a wing into a shield generator

Thumbs up

I'm all up in your Twitters!!1!

"I don't play video games...that's cool...I get laid instead..." -Liz Loza
"It was a fine looking penis..." -MojoX

Thumbs up +1

^^^   *Chills*

It is a fair wind that blew men to the ale.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/561c09ade4b0dbb8000f77dd

tl;dr This kid took the lead role because he wanted to challenge stereotypes. The stereotype being that Star Wars is for nerdy white guys. Now he's facing discrimination online because he's black. Good for him for fighting the good fight.

Also, from a busness perspective it makes sense too. Making the lead a bad ass black guy helps draw in a new audience. And I dont just mean black people. I mean people of all races that may have discounted Star Wars as too nerdy.

Then you have the sidechick. She kind of gives me a Jennifer Lawrence / Hunger Games vibe, which is probably what they were going for. The Original Trilogy gave us a strong female character in Princess Leia, so hopefully this woman can pick up the torch.

Now what Im really hoping for - maybe not in this movie, but the next - is for the two to fall for each other. I know it probably seems mundane to TFFG's more enlightened audience, but I think a fleshed out love story between a black guy and a white women would make a lot of Americans uncomfortable. Which is why we need one.

I like your viewpoint, xlledx. Surprised anyone is giving him sh*t. I sometimes forget how many douches there are in this world.

Nobility of Intent does not Offset Stupidity of Execution

The Reverend MojoX wrote:

I like your viewpoint, xlledx. Surprised anyone is giving him sh*t. I sometimes forget how many douches there are in this world.

I know it's f23ked. The fact it's gotten to a point where he's had to address is, not just recently, but last year too. Bill Maher said a stat during the Bernie interview where he said something like only 92% of Americans would vote for a black President. So going by that statistic alone, at least 8% of Americans are racist against blacks, and the number is likely much higher. Especially when you take into account, something like 13% of Americans are black and it stands to reason that 100% of them would have no problem voting for a black president.

Getting back to Star Wars, I have some possible spoilers for you guys. This is just what Ive inferred based on the poster and the trailer. I havent read any leaked scripts or anything. I actually stay away from all the rumors and spoilers because I want to be surprised. But here's a connection I've drawn.

First, here's the poster again for reference:

https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/star-wars-poster.jpg?w=806

And now here's part of the trailer. I'll put this in spoiler tags, because it has a big clue as to a major plot point. Or i t may be nothing. Ill let you decide:

Do you see it?

Here's what I'm talking about:

Toggle SpoilerSpoilerThe Ice World is actually a Death Star. You see the Death Star in the poster, right? And you see the huge trench in the Ice World shot right? Im jussayin...

From everything I'm reading, the tag is a "troll" tag that was created to spark outrage.....which has worked wonderfully.

Nobility of Intent does not Offset Stupidity of Execution

The Reverend MojoX wrote:

From everything I'm reading, the tag is a "troll" tag that was created to spark outrage.....which has worked wonderfully.

That's what I thought too, but it's actually on going. Here's an article from last year:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/01/showbiz/s … index.html

And in this very thread I commented on it last year:

Scene has a lot of presence.  This John B. has already shown that he's a better actor than anything we've seen in the prequels.  I was surprised to find a lot of the top youtube comments were jokes about a black stormtrooper.  I mean…this is the first time we've even seen a storm trooper's skin.  Why is it that surprising he's black?  I guess none of the Empire officers were black, but I always figured that had to do with casting in England.  Shrug.  Apparently it got so bad, this kid had to defend himself on Twitter.  No joke.  For the rest of us, I'm extremely happy to have him aboard.

So it's something he's been contending with ever since the first teaser trailer dropped.

I am in line right now. Decided to see it on the 3D IMAX screen. Should be awesome. I wish I lived near one of the laser projection screens; I'm pretty sure there are only a handful of them in the country.

Who else is watching it tonight?

It is a fair wind that blew men to the ale.

elliot23 wrote:

I am in line right now. Decided to see it on the 3D IMAX screen. Should be awesome. I wish I lived near one of the laser projection screens; I'm pretty sure there are only a handful of them in the country.

Missed this thread update.

Actually saw it the 17th at one of the "early screenings"...

I'm all up in your Twitters!!1!

"I don't play video games...that's cool...I get laid instead..." -Liz Loza
"It was a fine looking penis..." -MojoX

Thumbs up

elliot23 wrote:

Whats laser projection? And yea I saw it opening night at a 715 showing.