Topic: Cord Cutting

Lyle,

Heard the podcast today and saw where you cut the cord and went with SlingTV.  I'm curious to know if you had heard of PlayStation Vue,  Sony's offering for streaming TV.  (I thought had posted this once before earlier today and I went back and couldn't find it.  Not sure if it got removed because it sounded like an advertisement.  It's not, just sharing my experience and I thought the Lounge area would be the best place to post it.  If it is a duplicate, I'm really sorry about that.)

There are pro's and cons for both services, but I have had no complaints since switching to this and cutting the cord.  I had heard of SlingTV and was going to try it and a buddy here at work mentioned the PS VUE and I had never even heard of it.  Whether I stay with this or go with another provide in the future, I can't see me going back to traditional cable.  I hear Apple and Google have plans in the future to offer up some streaming services in the near future and I think that is good for everyone.

There...I hope I made this post sound less like a commercial or an endorsement for any single product.  It's not my intent to violate any rules.

Thumbs up +1

Re: Cord Cutting

r6ironman wrote:

Lyle,

Heard the podcast today and saw where you cut the cord and went with SlingTV.  I'm curious to know if you had heard of PlayStation Vue,  Sony's offering for streaming TV.  (I thought had posted this once before earlier today and I went back and couldn't find it.  Not sure if it got removed because it sounded like an advertisement.  It's not, just sharing my experience and I thought the Lounge area would be the best place to post it.  If it is a duplicate, I'm really sorry about that.)

There are pro's and cons for both services, but I have had no complaints since switching to this and cutting the cord.  I had heard of SlingTV and was going to try it and a buddy here at work mentioned the PS VUE and I had never even heard of it.  Whether I stay with this or go with another provide in the future, I can't see me going back to traditional cable.  I hear Apple and Google have plans in the future to offer up some streaming services in the near future and I think that is good for everyone.

There...I hope I made this post sound less like a commercial or an endorsement for any single product.  It's not my intent to violate any rules.

I have not heard of it until now. I don't have a PS4 (PS3 work?) so that might explain why.

I hear you on traditional cable. I have Netflix, Hulu, Sling, and an antenna. Plus I have a very large digital media collection and run my own server for the family. I use plex.tv to serve my content and it works brilliantly. If you have any media files, I can't recommend that highly enough. Thanks for the post!

PS Vue is IT!!!!

I love it so far. Had it for 6 weeks now. It is everything I want and need, even Disney channels for the kids.

I've heard PSVue is still on beta and I see the issue but it's only with the DVR.

I can't say enough...

Works best on PS4, Amazon Fire, Roku & Amazon Fire stick (but too slow)
Multiple connections thru same IP are OK
No mobile access, that's extra, never priced it

4 packages - $35-$75/mo
$45/mo for 75 channels with local sports
$75/mo For 100 channels with HBO & Showtime
Cloud DVR, unlimited memory except...auto deletes after 28 days
DVR records from on demand and live tv
No fees or taxes
HD quality video, but sound is not as good

For me, the sacrifices are worth it. We hated that our Verizon bill was more then our PECO utility bill.

Thumbs up

I'm rocking slingTV with the Sports package now and that get's me all the local games and the redzone channel, this works really well on any device. I even watched a game via 4G while I was at the Eagles game.

Plus, there's always https://www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams/  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

If youre super cheap like me, Verizon has the NFL Network app on the phone that lets you watch local and night games (even ESPN) for free. Also, the games dont use data. I paid an extra $2 a month for Redzone, and it's worth every penny.

I know watching a game on your phone isnt ideal, but I dont want to pay $40 a month for Slingtvs sport package and then still get a crappy tv signal fro local games. (I live in an apartment made of lead apparently)

Thumbs up

xlledx wrote:

and then still get a crappy tv signal fro local games

Sling has local channels. But, honestly, nothing compares to reddit. It's always there and always perfect.

Lyle wrote:
xlledx wrote:

Sling has local channels. But, honestly, nothing compares to reddit. It's always there and always perfect.

Really? When I used to stream Bears games in Phoenix, id use vipstand and it was always a poor experience. Ill have to check otu Reddit. Thanks

Thumbs up

xlledx wrote:
Lyle wrote:
xlledx wrote:

Really? When I used to stream Bears games in Phoenix, id use vipstand and it was always a poor experience. Ill have to check otu Reddit. Thanks

Yeah dude the mods on reddit weed out the bad stuff, there might be one or two ads you have to close. Usually there is nothing and they just ask for donations. Plus, they don't just do NFL, anything... PPV, hockey, tv shows, movies... It's awesome.

Trying out SlingTv this weekend and getting *a lot* of stuttering and buffering that I don;t get with watchespn or other streams. what are you using for the sling device, an apple tv?
Still this is my first time trying out redzone, holy hell this is amazing

Thumbs up

Buckingham wrote:

Trying out SlingTv this weekend and getting *a lot* of stuttering and buffering that I don;t get with watchespn or other streams. what are you using for the sling device, an apple tv?
Still this is my first time trying out redzone, holy hell this is amazing

It depends on the app, I've found. The xbox app is trash while the iphone one works wonders. PC and ipad work well too, I haven't tried any others. I usually just have my laptop with me. I hear the roku, fire stick, and roku apps work well, but I have no personal experience.

You can also turn down the quality, it might boost the performance.

Picked up a Roku 2 to try out, night and day to my first gen Chromecast. Smooth, great experience, works well with my ESPN credentials.

Kind of a shame tech support didn't suggest a Roku as a fix when I reported the stuttering (Chromecasts are listed as a supported device) and had I not googled it I would have cancelled the trial and been done with it.

Thumbs up

Buckingham wrote:

Picked up a Roku 2 to try out, night and day to my first gen Chromecast. Smooth, great experience, works well with my ESPN credentials.

Kind of a shame tech support didn't suggest a Roku as a fix when I reported the stuttering (Chromecasts are listed as a supported device) and had I not googled it I would have cancelled the trial and been done with it.

Nice! Dude, I went through the same thing with the Xbox app. It sucks that I needed a second device, but they sent me a Roku 2 for free (a special for paying for 3 months up front) and it works great. 0 issues.

yeah i picked up a roku to try it out, will be returning, then prepaying through sling to get the free roku box. Thanks for the equipment rental Walton Family.

first time my chromecast has led me astray, the roku interface is really slick though. baked in watchespn and big ten network support.

Thumbs up