Topic: ESPN vs Cable

So Disney (owner of ESPN) is suing Verizon right now, because Verizon is trying to offer unbundles, where people can opt out of different channels.  ESPN for example costs $6.55 per cable subscription.  (The next highest is TNT at about $2.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankbi/201 … iate-fees/

I wonder how this plays out. Im sure you have your fans who would pay $15 a month for ESPN easy.  Then Im sure youd have your people who would be happy to have their cable bill lowered by $6.55. 

Course then theres NFL Network, and NBA Network, etc to consider.  Right now, NFL Network, etc isnt in too many cable packages.  But if cable packages become a thing of the past, then whats to stop NFL Network, etc from choking off ESPN and providing the content themselves?

ESPN is a goliath, worth about $75 billion.  But it's business model has one glaring weakness...its suppliers are all monopolies.  And those monopolies have already been coping ESPN's business for years.  It could only be a matter of time before ESPN becomes ESPawNed. 

xlledx is a shareholder of Disney

Re: ESPN vs Cable

ESPN is the only company that can do what it does.  Not only is ESPN the sexiest girl at the cable bar, they own every specialty college channel as well. While other companies try to copy their model, they lack the programming and insight ESPN has.  30 for 30, first take, coverage of major sports.  You don't eff with Fox news or ESPN.  The cable model will exist as long as there are sports fans because it just makes too much money.

10 team ppr.  2 flex spots, 3 WR otherwise standard rosters
QB: Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler  RB: Shady McCoy, Demarco Murray, Andre Ellington, Bernard Pierce Toby Gerhart, MOJO.  WR: AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Manny Sanders,  Kendall Wright, Justin Hunter, Reuben Randle, Brandon Cooks. TE: Travis Kelce, Kicker: dude from the Eagles,  Def: Tampa Bay

Thumbs up +1

Do you think Fox's new 24 hour sports network poses a threat to ESPN?  I dont see how it couldnt, but then again, I dont really watch ESPN.

Fox has probably the best shot at coming close to ESPN, but it still has a long way to go. ESPN has several channels (1, 2, News, University ... those are the ones I can think of). They are worth $40 Billion, which means they can outspend any other sports news organization for certain rights to MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL ... whatever they want they can afford. So it's really going to be hard to overtake the king on this one.

Basically they're the Yankees, and Fox Sports is the Teledo Mud Hens.

"Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that."
-Joe Theismann

And thus begins Simmons' exodus from ESPN...

I'm all up in your Twitters!!1!

"I don't play video games...that's cool...I get laid instead..." -Liz Loza
"It was a fine looking penis..." -MojoX

Thumbs up

Drexl wrote:

And thus begins Simmons' exodus from ESPN...

Good for him.  I remember when he got suspended.

xlledx wrote:

Do you think Fox's new 24 hour sports network poses a threat to ESPN?  I dont see how giro d italia com couldnt, but then again, I dont really watch ESPN.

You'd better.

Last edited by Simon Wood (2018-01-19 03:49:16)

Thumbs up