Topic: Your Best Burger Recipe

I was planning to mix up some burger with diced onions, garlic, breadcrumbs and an egg. I also throw some seasoning salt and pepper on them before grill time.

Anyone else have a favorite recipe?

Nobility of Intent does not Offset Stupidity of Execution

Re: Your Best Burger Recipe

Geoge Foreman Grill until burnt.  Then add mustard.

I keep mine pretty simple. 80/20 ground beef, and then I throw in some Italian sausage mix just for a little extra flavor. It's about 90/10 ratio. Salt, pepper onion powder and I'm good to go.

I like cooking mine on my skillet so that fat stays where it is, but being Memorial Day, a grill is what the doctor ordered.

The key to a good burger though is the right bun, right cheese and fresh toppings.

"Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that."
-Joe Theismann

I'm not a fan of putting stuff in the meat itself. I like just straight ground beef (very pink inside) with salt and pepper. When you start kneading stuff into the meat, you push out a lot of the air and you get a really dense burger (hence the need to add a bunch of crap like egg to keep it moist). Personally I like a really sloppy burger with lots of mayo, ketchup, lettuce, tomato, pickle, and maybe avocado.

Last edited by Voodoo Rage (2012-05-26 12:35:02)

Thumbs up +3

Voodoo Rage wrote:

When you start kneading stuff into the meat, you push out a lot of the air and you get a really dense burger.

Holy crap! That's what's been happening?
You've saved my beef.

Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Thumbs up

All of these measurements are approximate as I just eyeball these until they feel right.

1.5 lbs each of ground chuck and ground sirloin. 
1 tablespoon (or more) minced garlic
1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper.
1 egg

Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl with your bare hands you baby.  For God's sake wash yer filthy mitts first.  When it comes to salt and pepper only give the mixed meat a base level of seasoning.  We're going to season more later. 

Now form your patties.  I make big burgers, about 1/3 lbs apiece.  I basically grab a fistful of meat and fire it into the palm of my opposite hand like I'm breaking in a baseball glove.  My patties are usually about 3/4 inch thick and 5-6 inches across.  Make sure to put a quarter sized dimple in the center in the middle of the patty.  This keeps an even thickness and prevents that hockey puck effect.

Once the patties are formed coat them liberally with kosher salt and black pepper, especially the salt.  You want full coverage with the salt and about half of that with the pepper.  Like when you're seasoning a steak.  I take a heavy pinch and usually coat one and a half patties per pinch. 

After your patties are seasoned go over them with a light coat of aerosol cooking spray.  A lot of people think cooking spray is the devil, but it's just canola oil.  Spraying it allows a thinner coat than rubbing it in (which is what I do to steaks).  Some people use olive oil here but I prefer canola because it has a much higher smoke point.  Grilling with olive oil produces a pretty acrid smoke and that's not the kind of smoke I want (more on smoke later).  Now flip them patties, season the other side and let them sit in the fridge while you build your fire.

Start your coals in a charcoal chimney using newspaper that you sprayed with cooking spray as a starter.  Before I pour my coals I lay out some hardwood in the pit.  I prefer hickory as an all purpose cooking wood.  Mesquite has a bitterness that works well with beef but not with pork or chicken.  You'll probably have to use chunks so line the perimeter of where you're going to pour your coals with 4 or 5.  If you're forced to use wood chips (you poor bastard) just pile a couple of handfuls in the middle.  If you're lucky enough to be able to get mini-logs (God Bless Texas), set one to the rear of the cooking area.  With the chunks and logs we're just looking for them to make contact with some hot coals to provide a slow smoulder and not spike the heat.  I don't like chips because you get a rush of smoke all at once but hey, better than nothing.

Grill to desired doneness.  I usually do one last flip when I see the patty divot pool with clear juice and then I top the hot side with cheese.

DID SOMEONE SAY CHEESE!?

This handcrafted meat mini-monument commands to be topped with only the best.  Through several trials I've compiled what I refer to as "The Holy Trini-Cheese.".

American
Cheddar
Provolone

I beseech thee to use only deli cut slices.  This blend combines texture, sharpness and creaminess all into one.

The above is my life's work.  Compiled through years of pain and suffering.  Take this my brothers, and claim grilling glory this Memorial Day.

Edit: Too much Worcestershire.  Amount is now accurate.

Last edited by Corn Bread (2012-05-26 14:14:43)

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, it's usually something unusual.

Thumbs up +2

Corn Bread wrote:

The Holy Trini-Cheese.

BAM!

Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Thumbs up

1 stick butter
2 tbs vinegar
1tbs tobasco
2/3 cup Worcestershire
2 cup ketch
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp liquid smoke (mesquite flavored)
medium diced onion
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup water

Bring to boil, stir a little, call it good.

That is my go to BBQ sauce recipe. This sauce is sweet, if you want to make it hot I like to add
ultra hot Chinese or Korean sauce (I use the kind that only has two english words on the label "SUPER HOT"). use 1-2 tsp per cup of sauce (depending on how hot you like it). The asian heat and the texas sweet go well together.

That's my key to a best burger. I typically use elk burger, but I realize we don't all have that option.

10 Team Standard  : 1QB 2RB 2 WR 1 TE 1 Flex QB: Watson RB: Zeke, Kamara, Henry, Ingram, Penny, A Jones  WR: Hopkinds, Robinson, Anderson, Woods, Hurns  TE: Njogu

Thumbs up +1

meathorse wrote:
Voodoo Rage wrote:

When you start kneading stuff into the meat, you push out a lot of the air and you get a really dense burger.

Holy crap! That's what's been happening?
You've saved my beef.

There's nothing wrong with putting extra ingredients into your meat, but the vast majority of people over knead their meat and ruin their burgers. Proceed with care when adding awesomeness into your meat.

Anyhoo, there are a million great burger recipes. I try many.

Here's a decent one I did the other day.

I usually use fresh ground bison sirloin (one of the perks of being from the Rockies) but 80/20 beef sirloin is also excellent. I wouldn't go any less on the fat ratio.

So... this is based off of 1 1/2 lbs of meat.
Break your ground meat into small pieces and quickly toss in your ingredients with a fork:

1 cup extra sharp cheddar (disregard if you prefer a blue)
8-10 strips finely chopped bacon, cooked
4 tsp spicy mustard
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Lightly pack your patties. Once they hold together, they are done. It's very important to make large divots (as previously mentioned) in each patty to keep the burgers from bulging and becoming lame burger balls. Cook to 140 degrees. Never press on your burgers while cooking or precious fat and flavor will be compromised.

Top finished burgers with gorgonzola (i prefer this to cheddar), freshly caramelized onions, and your favorite finger lickin' bbq sauce. Always butter and toast buns.

Serve with an american brown ale (malt forward) or a pale ale (hop forward).

Last edited by elliot23 (2012-05-27 05:45:26)

It is a fair wind that blew men to the ale.

Voodoo Rage wrote:

When you start kneading stuff into the meat, you push out a lot of the air and you get a really dense burger (hence the need to add a bunch of crap like egg to keep it moist).

This explains a great deal. I thought my burgers tasted great, but seemed a bit more "solid" than I prefer. It also explains why my father's meatloaf always seemed like it was a fudging cinder block when I was a kid.

Yeah you "burger" recipe seems more like a good meatball recipe. I just like adding a little sausage, because let's face it, pork fat is good.

For onion flavor, just add onion powder, it does the trick just fine.

"Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that."
-Joe Theismann

MojoX wrote:

I was planning to mix up some burger with diced onions, garlic, breadcrumbs and an egg. I also throw some seasoning salt and pepper on them before grill time.

Anyone else have a favorite recipe?

Never, ever, put breadcrumbs in your burger
80 % ground chuck & season with salt & pepper
You could try better cuts of meat but keep up the fat content

Loss to Seahawks was worse than loss to Eagles!

Thumbs up

What meat I use depends on the sale.  I always try to go with nothing higher than 80% lean.

French's onion toppers (ground) + oatmeal (3 or 4/1 ratio frenchs to oatmeal) (oatmeal helps keep its form and burns up so its gone)
1 lb meat
1/4 tbs ground pepper
1/4 or more of Lawry's garlic salt (its the only brand I buy its not overpowering and has plenty of salt, perfect for hot sauce)

I've begun to add ground dried peppers to everything.  For best flavor smoke the peppers and dry them. as always my favorite is serrano, always dependable and always has a good kick.  You can buy some dehydrated peppers to add if you dont prepare them.  I like to do this to add some subtle heat to each bite, rather than a lot of heat in chunks you get with fresh)

I mix the ingredients into the meat one at a time, kneading them in with clean hands.  cook as you cook it.

10 team ppr.  2 flex spots, 3 WR otherwise standard rosters
QB: Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler  RB: Shady McCoy, Demarco Murray, Andre Ellington, Bernard Pierce Toby Gerhart, MOJO.  WR: AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Manny Sanders,  Kendall Wright, Justin Hunter, Reuben Randle, Brandon Cooks. TE: Travis Kelce, Kicker: dude from the Eagles,  Def: Tampa Bay

Thumbs up

can someone sticky this thread, i am gonna steal some of your recipes this summer.

QB: Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler  RB: Shady McCoy, Demarco Murray, Andre Ellington, Bernard Pierce Toby Gerhart, MOJO.  WR: AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Manny Sanders,  Kendall Wright, Justin Hunter, Reuben Randle, Brandon Cooks. TE: Travis Kelce, Kicker: dude from the Eagles,  Def: Tampa Bay

Thumbs up

cheesehead wrote:

Never, ever, put breadcrumbs in your burger

DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE!

Not only do I always put bread crumbs in my burgers, I put panko bread crumbs.  There's nothing wrong with a juicy burger.

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, it's usually something unusual.

Thumbs up

Ohhhhh, panko. Good call.

Look, I like the breadbrumbs. I like a burger that comes out like a meatloaf. It makes for excellent re-heating.

MojoX wrote:

Look, I like the breadbrumbs. I like a burger that comes out like a meatloaf. It makes for excellent re-heating.

I am telling you, substitute the french's onions (and crush them) for bread crumb, they add so much more flavor.

Thumbs up

mimartin23 wrote:
MojoX wrote:

I am telling you, substitute the french's onions (and crush them) for bread crumb, they add so much more flavor.

Now that's a damned good idea there...
EDIT: Just returned from the store. There shall be burgers tonight, and they shall be made with French Fried Onion Crumbs

FAGGOTRON wrote:

can someone sticky this thread

Done.

Don't call it a comeback.

Thumbs up +2

I made the burgers tonight.
Freshly chopped onion and garlic, crushed French Onion Chips and an egg, patties seasoned with Lowry's, pepper and garlic powder.

Another big change (along with the onion chips) was mixing with a couple of forks, rather than kneading the hell out of them.

Verdict from my wife: "This is it."

~1# ground sirloin
~1/4# Chrizo/hot italian sausage
couple shakes of worchestershershire sauce
pinch or two of kosher salt
couple cranks of black pepper
serve with some melted on slices of a sharp ass cheddar.
serve on a hard roll (kaiser roll) buttered and toasted

Thumbs up +1

I use boiled chicken breast (https://club.cooking/recipe/how-to-boil-chicken-breast/) vegetables and BBQ sauce, quick and healthy!

Thumbs up